Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automating NC VPN connection with ncsvc - client certificate authentication

Highlighted
New Contributor

Automating NC VPN connection with ncsvc - client certificate authentication

Hello,

I'm using Network Connect VPN client on Linux . (v 7.1-0-Build18671)

Is there a way to use client certificate authentication to connect to VPN server, when using the ncsvc command line client ?

The help summary for ncsvc does not list such a possibility .

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Automating NC VPN connection with ncsvc - client certificate authentication

no, this is not possible. ncsvc only allows automation with username & password authentication.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: Network Connect VPN client certificate authentication with ncsvc

Please advise me where to look for help on this topic.

Thanks

Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: Network Connect VPN client certificate authentication with ncsvc

It is possible that I don't understand the VPN login process correctly, so I will describe steps for creating the VPN connection using web browser (GUI login):

1.After entering VPN login page address in address bar, I am presented with a list of client certificates, from which I can choose the appropriate one

2.I am forwarded to a login page which requests username/password to be entered.

3.A Java applet is started which presents me with a connection statistics data window

Can anyone explain how these steps match to the login process invoked by the command line client ?

This is the command I am using when trying to connect:

ncsvc -r realm -u user -p password -u loginurl -f servercert.der -L 5

After running this I can see in the logs that I am being redirected to an url that has a queryparameter like this ?q=no-cert . So, how do I supply the client certificate here ? 

I spend lots of time during my day logging on and off to VPN. It would be of tremendeous value for me if I could automate this process.

If this is not possible using Linux, can this be achieved using Windows's nclauncher ?

Thanks a lot!

Highlighted
Not applicable

Hi Ivan,

Did you eventually figure this out? I'm interested in the same thing: to automate a VPN connection from linux using a client certificate.

thx
nico
Highlighted

The CLI launch command does not have the ability to do certificate authentication
If this is something you are looking for, please reach out to your account team for assistance with an enhancement request to be sent to the product team for review