cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avira 9.x failing Host Checker

vbroadwater_
Contributor

Avira 9.x failing Host Checker

I'm having the oddest issue with Host Checker lately. User with Avira Free 9.x have been failing Host Checker even though their client softare is being kept up to date. I got the first complaints about 2 weeks ago. I installed ESAP 1.5.5 and that fixed it for about a day. Now those users are failing HC again and we have no idea why. This seems to be the only A/V vendor that users are having issues with right now.

Anyone else see this sort of behavior lately? Thoughts?

18 REPLIES 18
jssf_
Occasional Contributor

Re: Avira 9.x failing Host Checker

Avira recently released an update which changed formats and broke support for a number of features that are used by the OESIS Framework (and are in turn used by Host Checker). Avira has been made aware of this issue and have given us an API to fix this so that it will not happen again in the future. I will say that, in general, Avira are the most proactive members of the OESIS OK interoperability certification/partnership program (sponsored by Juniper), so this was a bit unusual.

The fix will be issued as part of OPSWAT's OESIS Framework update tomorrow and I'm sure will be rolled out by Juniper as soon as they possibly can.

vbroadwater_
Contributor

Thank you very much for the details! Now I have something to pass on to the help desk in case anyone else calls in with a similar complaint. Smiley Happy Will the Juniper update be in a new ESAP release, or in the signature files that the device downloads on a regular basis?

jssf_
Occasional Contributor

You're quite welcome. Since I work for OPSWAT (the OESIS Framework people) I can't speak for Juniper's plans, but I do know they are very proactive about this stuff.

andrewgiffen_
New Contributor

Hi all,

A couple of our customers have tried Esap 1.5.7 from here https://download.juniper.net/software/ive/releases/esap/1.5.7/ESAP_1.5.7_prod.pkg but it doesn not fix the Avira issue.

Clients have Avira Professional 9.0.0.742, so there's no reason the check should fail.

Anyone else had any luck with 1.5.7?

cheers

andy

andrewgiffen_
New Contributor

by the way, wierd thing is, neither I nor the guy at Juniper can reproduce this in the lab. Our customers with the issue are in Germany though, so maybe it's language related.

Elena_
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I know about two more users with the same Avira 9.X problems (Denifition virus list not updated).

The ESAP 1.5.7 doesnt fix the problem. What about the 1.5.8, any clues if it will fix this problem adn the date of the release?

Thanks.

Kind Regards,

Elena

Darktan_
Contributor

I will hop in as well. I have a vendor that isn't connecting with Avira. He might have other issues too, but I pointed him to something else.

vsiebelink_
Not applicable

Hi,

does anyone have an idea when Juniper will bring out a working ESAP for this problem? I have the same issue, too. And it is annoying :-(

Regards,

Volker

kg71_
Contributor

Is anyone from Juniper following this thread? What's the plan?

Our Systems/Desktop folks have adopted Avira Pro for our institutionally owned machines and that works fine. They have been suggesting to our users that they can use Avira Free 9.x at home...obviously a problem when they can't use the VPN...