cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU usage with HC?

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

CPU usage with HC?

I've noticed since my last upgrade to 6.5R3.1 that I've gotten a few dozen complaints about Hostchecker running the computer CPU up to 100% and staying there until sign off. I am only host checking for the Active Directory domain name in the registry.

Does anybody have any insight as to what would cause this?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Re: CPU usage with HC?

Looking into this. Nothing comes to mind as a known issue. We have thousands of customers using Host Checker, each with hundreds to thousands of users per deployment. This is the first time I've heard of Host Checker consuming 100% CPU on the client. What other software is running on your PC or those dozen or so PCs? Is there some commonality? Did you double check the registry settings for Host Checker and also in the registry? I wonder if the key is in some incompatible format (e.g. hex vs. string) or something like that? Kevin
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

We've been using the same string in HC for 3 years. Some of the machines are on our domain, some are Dept of Defense machines.

Its just looking in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Telephony for the string DomainName with a value of our domain name.

If we uninstall the HC and reinstall it seems to work fine for a few days, but then the problem returns.

Needless to say, the US Navy doesn't like getting helpdesk calls because of our stuff affecting their PC's. Smiley Wink

Thanks for taking a look at it!

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

We're likely going to need to get HC logs, so at this point I would recommend opening up a case with JTAC and we will have someone jump on this and get to debugging it. It sounds like some kind of memory leak and likely it is not due to the OS but more likely some other application. Do you know if there is any anti-spyware or AV app running on the same PC? Has anyone tried disabling that for those few days to see if HC still goes up to 100%? Is it reproducible on a stand-alone PC in your lab (say one with basic apps and nobody using it)? This would help us narrow down what is going on. Another thought could be corrupt policy information from the SA but likely that would affect all systems not just a few.