cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling/launching a local app from within a bookmarked webpage?

Sojourner_
Occasional Contributor

Calling/launching a local app from within a bookmarked webpage?

We use a project management tool called Clarity that does everything 80/443 *except* there is a link within the page that calls up/launches a local app on the user's computer for syncronization. Is there a way to allow the webpage to call the local app using only a web bookmark? Or am I going to have to config IE for WSAM to allow this? Would WSAM even be a valid solution?

I've tried doing some searches but couldn't turn up anything. If this has already been answered in another thread cna you post up the link?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
kenlars_
Super Contributor

Re: Calling/launching a local app from within a bookmarked webpage?

What does the native web page to launch the local app? You certainly could use WSAM (or maybe JSAM, too, depending on your preference) to access the native app, which would then operate no differently than it does when running inside your network. WSAM (or JSAM) could then handle the communications flow for the local app which is launched.

Ken

Sojourner_
Occasional Contributor

I believe it's calling up Microsoft Project.

As for the Web ACL, I opened up the port restrictions to any but that didn't help. I would really rather resolve this within in the web access/bookmarks feature rather than dealing with WSAM or JSAM. I will go that route if I must though.

Thanks

Message Edited by Sojourner on 09-30-2009 07:44 AM
muttbarker_
Valued Contributor

Alas - bookmarks are just that - links to web sites or Java applets. So unless there is a Java app that you can call you are going to need to the "SAM" route.