cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chrome OS (Chromebook)

Highlighted
Contributor

Chrome OS (Chromebook)

Has anyone tried Chrome OS? Work? If so, with Java or NC? What code (7.1Rx)?

Any insiights appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Chrome OS (Chromebook)

no; i have not heard of anyone trying it. but i would not expect anything other than rewriting to work. it may be that client software will work, but because not all linux versions are supported, ymmv.

have you tested or just wondering?

Highlighted
Contributor

I was just handed a Chromebook to make work on the network.  I see that there is no Pulse Client, and I can't see how to add Network Connect to the OS.  Any options for this?

-=Dan=-

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Not that we know of; it is not a supported client OS. When you enable network connect on the role, what happens when you try to launch it?
Highlighted
Contributor

Bottom line is that there is no Java on Chromebooks, so you can't launch the Network Connect Java client.  Just doesn't work. 

Would be nice if there was a Pulse client for Linux, but I'm using Paul Smith's Mad-scientist script which makes it run like the Pulse client.   http://mad-scientist.net/juniper.html

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Thank you for the update & information that while java isn't available for dynamic installation the manual install & launch does work
Highlighted
Contributor

I guess I should have been more clear here.  ChromeOS DOES NOT allow root access, so you can't load anything.  I found NO WAY to install Network Connect on ChromeOS, even in developer mode.  Unless you know otherwise, it is 100% broken.

My comment was that there is a good Network Connect fix FOR ALL OTHER LINUXES.  ChromeOS is more like Android OS than its like Linux, yet can't run Android Apps. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Sorry for misunderstanding; thank you for the clarification. I have not had any experience with the ChromeOS, but would not expect it to work based on your comments. I had not realized it was neither desktop nor mobile-like OS