cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clean Remote PCs after usage (SVW / CacheCleaner...)

Frequent Contributor

Clean Remote PCs after usage (SVW / CacheCleaner...)

Hi folks,

I hope I am not the only one here looking for such a solution. The thing is, giving users the possibility to access date from any machine in the world except some basic requirements, you will always face the problem of data resting on the client after usage.
Now there are techniques like SVW or CacheCleaner, but these only exist for Windows. But in some cases you might face a number of MAC / Linux users for that you want to serve the same service instead of detecting such system and just reducing access rights.
So the overall question is, does anybody see a kind of sulution for such a purpose?
3 REPLIES 3
Super Contributor

Re: Clean Remote PCs after usage (SVW / CacheCleaner...)

Ben,

When we first rolled out the IVE we went through your same issue. The fact is to run cache cleaner you need higher then normal permissions on whatever machine you are connecting from. If you enforce cache cleaner, or host checker for that matter, there will be a large amount of machines that simply will not work. Most Kiosk machines are locked down and will not let active kind of program be installed.

I'd recommend running some tests and seeing exactly what is being left behind by the application. When we actually looked at our cache, we realized that we were not leaving anything of interest behind, maybe a couple of images files but no real data. Most applications are configurable to not cache. It will be slower but more secure.

Just my 2cents. Good Luck..

Frequent Contributor

Hi Jickfoo,

thanks for your reply.
Well you are right with that, but some people argument the way, that a user has the possibility of accessing critical data and they want to avoid problems caused by such data being left anywhere but without denying the mobile access.....
So just doing "nothing" is not an option, escpecially for the fact that the user might activly save this data anywhere without beeing aware of the problems he might cause with that. Even though I would just deny the access then but this argument does obviously not count - in that case.
Respected Contributor

Hi Ben,

Would creating your ACL in such a way as to prevent access to that sensitive data work? This would allow you to grant some access to your Mac/Linux users; but restrict access to anything that is extra-sensitive. This restriction could be done via a special role for those computers that do not have the right permissions to run SVW and Cache Cleaner. Another option, if you have the advanced license, is allow access generally but have a detailed rule item that denies access based on the userAgent.