cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client issues since upgrade to 8.2

Highlighted
Contributor

Client issues since upgrade to 8.2

We've used our IVE for years with pretty much zero issue between releases.

We push the Installer Service via Group Policy and typically when a new release is installed clients may get a "Do you want to run this now/always" but that's it, no admin rights type issues because that's what the Installer Service is meant to deal with.

8.1 to 8.2 has been a disaster.

We must have had around 10% of our workforce calling in from offsite because they've been prompted for admin rights or the Pulse Secure Client has simply decided not to upgrade correctly.

We have clients who now have two Pulse Secure icons in their System Tray and even removing every last item from Add/Remove Programs that relates to Pulse Secure or Juniper doesn't seem to fix it.

I don't know if this is a one-off or indicative of anything deeper but has anyone experienced anything similar?

Is there an official guide on how to remove every single last trace of anything Pulse Secure related from a client so we can do a truly clean start?

Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: Client issues since upgrade to 8.2

It is a one-off side-effect of the changes associated with moving from Juniper Networks to Pulse Secure. The 8.2 version had additional changes that needed to be completed and we have seen unexpected failures with this; some of what you are seeing we are aware of and are working on developing a fix (upgrade not going smooth & admin prompts with the installer service installed). Unfortunately, it does appear that you found at least one new item (two Pulse Secure icons in your system tray); I would recommend contacting support so we can work with our development team to try and replicate that.

The only way I am aware of to remove everything is to run the uninstaller from add/remove programs for the Pulse Secure client(s) installed, the Pulse Secure Setup Client(s), and Pulse Secure Installer Service(s) as well as any Juniper Networks equivalents.
Highlighted
Contributor

Thanks for the reply, and quite honestly thanks for just being honest rather than the corporate line a lot of companies try to put on these issues Smiley Happy

The "two icons" thing is something that I think is fairly minimal but I have seen it.

In many cases doing what you said and just nuking anything in Add/Remove from Juniper or Pulse has been sufficient.

Do you have a KB article or just a guide on how to do a total manual removal of any stuff that Add/Remove may not cover please?

With the "two icons" machines I've looked at personally there was nothing left in Add/Remove but after a reboot and reinstall, two icons.. Smiley Happy
Highlighted

Thanks for the reply, and quite honestly thanks for just being honest rather than the corporate line a lot of companies try to put on these issues Smiley Happy
>>You are welcome; apologies for the delay in response to your reply.

The "two icons" thing is something that I think is fairly minimal but I have seen it.

In many cases doing what you said and just nuking anything in Add/Remove from Juniper or Pulse has been sufficient.

Do you have a KB article or just a guide on how to do a total manual removal of any stuff that Add/Remove may not cover please?
>>The only “guide” for this, so to speak, is the client-side changes guide. It lists what is installed; you can then go through and make sure it is all gone

With the "two icons" machines I've looked at personally there was nothing left in Add/Remove but after a reboot and reinstall, two icons.. Smiley Happy
:/ sorry to hear that
Unfortunately, the best thing to do to try & figure that out is to open a case and, if possible, provide a VM of the system in that state
Highlighted
Contributor

What we're also seeing is that prior to 8.2 if users connected using the Pulse Secure application in the system tray (rather than through the web portal) it would prompt for username and password as part of the Pulse Secure application - now it seems when you hit connect in the application it's actually opening a web browser to ask you to login, which you do, then once logged in the web page disappears and the Pulse application carries on.

We use Duo though I don't think that's anything to do with the issue as this happens before you've logged in so the PSA doesn't know who you are at that point.
Highlighted

Yup, not an issue with the Pulse client; it is due to changes in 8.2 for custom sign-in page support for the Pulse client