Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS problem with Core web functionality

SOLVED
wigneys_
Occasional Contributor

DNS problem with Core web functionality

Hi,

A puzzling problem with my SA2000 (6.5R4). I have a web resource based on a Sharepoint template pointing to an intranet site. When users click the link, they get a 404 from their (external) DNS provider. I've confirmed that the SA2000 DNS is working, as when using NC it's fine, plus I can resolve and ping the sharepoint server from the SA box (using troubleshooting commands). The sharepoint resource works fine from "inside" (obviously), even passing SSO credentials successfully...

What could I be doing wrong?

Any help much appreciated..

cheers,

Steve.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
zanyterp_
Respected Contributor

Re: DNS problem with Core web functionality

Do you have a selective rewriting policy for the sharepoint server? If they are receiving a 404 from their DNS server, not yours/the SPS server, it is indicative of this policy being missing. Does the user access log show the request to the server?

Can you check at Users>Resource Policies>Web>Rewriting to confirm that the site(s) being accessed is allowed? If it looks like it should work, can you post a policy trace that is set for a user experiencing failure with only web:rewriting set to be traced?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
MattS_
Frequent Contributor

Hi,

Do they fail using a bookmark on the SA homepage when the user logs in or are they using an external link?

Is the URL of the format https://<SIGN-IN_URL>/dana/home/launch.cgi?url=<RESOURCE_URL> ? This should be the same as the bookmark on the user's SA homepage when they log in.

The external DNS is returning an IP for the hostname they are attempting to contact and that server is returning a '404 not found' HTTP response as it does not have the requested object.

As it works via NC I guess that the URL used is probably the direct hostname (http://<RESOURCE URL>) so with NC the internal DNS servers return an address on the internal network which the users can access via NC. When you attempt to access this without NC up then the external DNS is probably returning the SA address and so it is rejecting it.

To access the resource you need to pass it as a parameter to launch.cgi as shown above, this allows the client to contact the SA, authenticate against the SA and then have the SA intermediate, pass any SSO credentials that are configured and re-write the page content.

wigneys_
Occasional Contributor

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your response...

The users are following a link on the SA homepage created automatically by the resource profile...when I try to re-create the profile with the launch.cgi URL as you suggest, I'm getting an "invalid resource" message. I'm sure I'm missinig something - can you shed any more light?

Appreciate your help, thanks,

Steve.

MattS_
Frequent Contributor

If you access the link which has the format https://<SIGN-IN_URL>/dana/home/launch.cgi?url=<RE SOURCE_URL> then it should take you to the sign-in page, so it sounds like the DNS is not resolving the sign-in URL hostname to the SA's IP address. If you try to ping the SIGN-IN_URL from the client does it resolve to the correct IP address?

zanyterp_
Respected Contributor

Do you have a selective rewriting policy for the sharepoint server? If they are receiving a 404 from their DNS server, not yours/the SPS server, it is indicative of this policy being missing. Does the user access log show the request to the server?

Can you check at Users>Resource Policies>Web>Rewriting to confirm that the site(s) being accessed is allowed? If it looks like it should work, can you post a policy trace that is set for a user experiencing failure with only web:rewriting set to be traced?

View solution in original post

wigneys_
Occasional Contributor

thanks to all who responded. It was missing/misconfigured selective rewriting.

cheers,

Steve...

Smiley Very Happy