cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS resolution fails when connected using NC after installing VMWARE Workstation

Highlighted
New Contributor

DNS resolution fails when connected using NC after installing VMWARE Workstation

I have an issue where installing VMWare Wokstation breaks DNS resolution when using NetConnect. When the problem occurs I still have full IP connectivity and can even telnet onto port 53 on my DNS server; the problem seems limited to name resolution. This includes both internal and external name resolution. Uninstalling VMWARE resolves the issue.

Unfortunately there are a few variables here so not 100% sure on who's to blame. This version of VMWARE worked on IVE version 5.5, but we upgraded to 6.0R3.1 on the 2nd of Feb and Microsoft patch Tuesday happened 10 days later. Vista SP1 was installed after the problem occurred so is not the cause.

Anyone having similar issues or running something similar where it works?

Thanks

Jacques

System details:

Vista Enterprise SP1

VMware Workstation 6.0.2 build-59824

SA4000 running 6.0R3.1 (build 12507)
Netconnect profile capturing all traffic and supplying internal DNS server info

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: DNS resolution fails when connected using NC after installing VMWARE Workstation

so does the dns resolution break inside the vmware session or the host os?

Message Edited by Mrkool on 03-14-2008 10:37 AM
Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: DNS resolution fails when connected using NC after installing VMWARE Workstation

The problem is on the host. |It is a virgin VMWare install - nothing configured.