Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device Certificates vs. Clustering

SOLVED
Contributor

Device Certificates vs. Clustering

Quickie question from my faded memory:

Does a newly-installed Device Certificate (and its port assignments) propagate automatically to the standby unit in a cluster as part of configuration updating, or must the Device Certificate be installed and assigned to the Virtual Ports separately for each clustered unit?

Our cluster is active/standby, and the certificate in question is for a virtual IVE.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Contributor

Re: Device Certificates vs. Clustering

Dear Ken-J,

the Certificate is associated to a Domain-Name. So the certificate will be switched over to the backup device if the primary one will fail and everything works quite fine. :-)

regards

NULL

Contributor

No, the certificate is not assigned to a domain name: in the IVE, the certificate is bound to a virtual port.

Juniper appears to have no documentation on this topic and my feelings about my attempt to obtain support are better left unwritten. The sometimes-cited KB article on this topic appears to have been revoked without replacement.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Yes, in IVS setup newly installed certificates will be propogated across nodes.

Valid for both Active/Active and Active/Passive

Contributor

This indeed turns out to be what we saw at certificate installation this morning: the certificate was installed in the primary and automatically propagated (along with its virtual port assignment) to the passive/secondary node.

Thanks!