cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drive-Mapping and DNS Weirdness on OSX through Pulse

SOLVED
Occasional Contributor

Drive-Mapping and DNS Weirdness on OSX through Pulse

I've seen this on multiple machines now and its really odd. My MAC sits on my network and the DNS Servers are set to our AD Domain Controllers. I use Pulse to connect to our parent company and I try to map a drive. I look at a wireshark trace while I'm doing this and I see my machine desperately trying to find authentication servers on our internal DNS. It's doing thousands of lookups against _Tcp.Sites.domain.edu , _Ldap.domain.edu, all those weird and odd DNS records that Microsoft adds in.

The parent company has split tunneling off so all of these requests are simply dropped. I dont understand why its not querying the parent company DNS Server for auth sources. It does a quick lookup for the servername but thats it. The weird thing is, if I use completely public DNS Servers like 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 , it works fine first time, every time.

Any idea what could be happening ?
6 REPLIES 6
Occasional Contributor

Re: Drive-Mapping and DNS Weirdness on OSX through Pulse

Just to add something to the mix. I set the MAC up to use a static ip address and I removed suffix DNS Search Domains. The problem goes away. So the question is, when I connect to pulse and I get a new ip address from the VPN, why is Pulse still using my local DNS Search Suffixes ?

Are you seeing those requests go out the VPN interface or the local?
does this happen with both shortname & FQDN queries/attempts?

the configuration on the VPN Tunneling connection profile is not set to use device DNS first would be my guess
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for all the responses. The issue was that they did not hand out a distinct DNS Server in DHCP Settings. Instead they set it to user the DNS Settings of the IVE. This doesnt overwrite their local search suffixes. And because split tunneling is off, it thrashes for a long time trying to query their local Active Directory dns suffix records.

Thats why if they were to plug into the dsl and not get suffixes, it would work. I ask them to change it to hand out distinct dns servers and suffixes.
Occasional Contributor

Requests we're coming from the VPN interface

DNS was set to search Device DNS first, but since split tunneling was off these settings did not take affect.

Thank you for the update and clarification of how to avoid this