cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experience using microphone

ohiovpnuser
Occasional Contributor

Experience using microphone

In October 2020 Pulse Secure released firmware v9.1R9.  A new feature introduced in this version is the ability to carry microphone (audio input) from the local computer (the computer initiating the VPN connection) to the remote computer.   Has anyone used this new feature?  Just curious what your experience has been?

We recently upgraded to this new firmware, and four I.T. administrators including myself performed several rounds of testing with microphones on our home laptops.  There was a significant lag of three to four seconds between when one person would speak and the others would hear the words.  Since these are I.T. admins I feel comfortable that they have decent Internet service and higher-end Wifi / network equipment.  We tested using Zoom, Teams, and other call center software.   I realize this is a new feature for Pulse Secure so further updates may fix issues.  If anyone has suggestions on ways to improve audio quality I would appreciate any ideas.

-Fred

2 REPLIES 2
zanyterp

Re: Experience using microphone

is this for HTML5 or standard WTS bookmark?
i would recommend opening a case so we can check on if there is optimization that can be done (this is probably expected; however, i am not aware of sites that have tested this)
ohiovpnuser
Occasional Contributor

Re: Experience using microphone

Hi, this is for WTS (RDP) bookmark.  I did open a ticket with tech support.  They tested in their lab using Microsoft Teams and had no lag and no audio issues.  Which isn't too surprising given how Internet bandwidth, latency, etc can factor into audio quality.   Tech support didn't have any further recommendations or ideas.   

We have expanded our test program and so far our experience is that if you are using the microphone for a group meeting there are problems with the audio.  But when using call center software to talk with one person, and that person is using a phone, the audio quality is acceptable.