cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Bookmark Question

evcard_
Frequent Contributor

File Bookmark Question

I'm working with the File Bookmarks to create predefined bookmarks to network shares for users and I'm stumped on trying to get one to connect to their personal network drive. We use AD for authentication. so when the user logs on they show as domain\\userid. Is there a way to make a drive mapping based on either the userid for example:

\\server\share\<userid>

and the userid being a variable or is there a variable to pull the network path from the connect to field on the home folder field within the profile tab in Active Directory?

I have 1 role that will grant access to the network server that have all their home drives so it would be a lot easier if I could use a variable to reference the bookmark so for each user it would reflect the correct location.

7 REPLIES 7
muttbarker_
Valued Contributor

Re: File Bookmark Question

Howdy - it has been a long day and so my brain is not 100% there anymore Smiley Sad

So I may not understand your question properly. But if your directory name is userid and userid maps to the login username for the SA box then you can just use the "username" variable in your file Windows bookmark \\myserver\<username>

evcard_
Frequent Contributor

aapreciate the help that worked and got the exact path I needed, one other question is there anyway to trigger that to open in Windows Explorer? I noticed if I open a file from the list I have to save it local somewhere and then upload the changes. I can almost feel a call from users coming saying they opened a doc via the bookmark and made changes but it's not on the network sort of thing.

muttbarker_
Valued Contributor

Not through the web access mechanism.

SonicBoom_
Regular Contributor

that is the exact same issue i am starting to see with users, if they browse and open a document from a network drive via the SA once they hit save we dont know where it goes or if it goes to a temp file, what i have them doing is opening the file and making any changes then saving to their desktop and then uploading the file to overwrite the original.

evcard_
Frequent Contributor

That is the issue I wish to avoid, I noticed by default it will open in a temp folder and if the user hits save, it will update the local copy in that temp folder and the changes will not be stored on the network. I want to try and avoid that and having users whine and complain. I would have liked a method to trigger the network location to open in a windows explorer so then I would know for certain the file being opened is in fact one up on the network so any changes or modifications are saved to the network. I want to make it simple so users aren't forced to open the file make changes save it local to the desktop and then do an upload back to update the network copy, also that leaves a file local on their machine or any remote machine that may not be controlled by my office leaving us open to having files left offsite at a vendor or some public PC.

Is there possibly a way to push a network drive mapping via a script to populate on their remote PC each time they connect so I can at least say hit the X drive or something to access your files, similar to a GPO mapping in Active Directory?

Mrkool_
Super Contributor

you will need to load a cleint like WSAm or JSAM to do a Explorer drive mapping. Not worth it in my opinion. Look at sharepoint as an alternative to manage files via the web

evcard_
Frequent Contributor

Is it possible to do a file://server/share/%username% as a web bookmark to access files? I see within the options tab for web bookmarks it mentions file:// and ftp:// will not be masked which makes me think I should be able to do what I want to link to a users home directory and by doing it this way it would use IE/Explorer to open it if thats the users default, but I receive an error

Failed to create Bookmark: Home Directory.
Reason: Protocol is invalid

Anyone have any thoughts on this?