Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with DHCP process

SOLVED
CaseyH_
Contributor

Help with DHCP process

In troubleshooting another issue, I found our internal DHCP (MS AD) is reusing addresses pretty rapidly.

What I've been trying to find is how the VPN software handles the DHCP process (requests / assigning / releasing).

it appears that when a Pulse client disconnects it's sending a release command to the DHCP server?

My goal would be to have a delay of some sort on the IPs being assigned so that I'm able to track back using IPs.

I know that sounds confusing.... So when we're using Wireshark to correlate the traffic, we're running into problems of the IP being handed out so quickly (within 1 minute) that the traffic gets sloppy and hard to parse through (because then we have to find the time the IP was reassigned and use a timestamp).

So any help on how the VPN software handles the DHCP requests from begining to end? (when using Pulse clients)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kita_
Valued Contributor

Re: Help with DHCP process

Hello Casey,

Adding a delay is not possible as the SA/MAG is expecting the DHCP server to manage how IP addresses are leased and renewed.  I am not sure if this is even possible on the DHCP server side.  You'll want to reach out to your DHCP vendor.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Kita_
Valued Contributor

Hello Casey,

Adding a delay is not possible as the SA/MAG is expecting the DHCP server to manage how IP addresses are leased and renewed.  I am not sure if this is even possible on the DHCP server side.  You'll want to reach out to your DHCP vendor.

View solution in original post

CaseyH_
Contributor

Kita, am I correct that when the Pulse connection is terminated a "release" command is sent to the DHCP server?
Kita_
Valued Contributor

Yes, we should be sending a DHCP release.