cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Host Checker will not start on Firefox 7

elawford_
Occasional Contributor

Host Checker will not start on Firefox 7

We're just starting to get reports of users having problems logging into our SAs using Firefox 7.0.

We've managed to reproduce here on a Windows 7 machine running Firefox 7.0.1 and Oracle Java 1.6.0_26. After authenticating, Host Checker attempts to start but the SA redirects to a page that prompts the user to manually download the JuniperSetupClientInstaller.exe.

- Installing the Juniper Setup Client manually and restarting Firefox has no effect.

- Manually enabling the Java extension (using Addon Compatibility Reporter) has no effect. The latest Java plugin does not yet support Firefox 7 officially but other Java appets start without issue.

- Rolling back to Firefox 6 resolves the issue.

Has anyone else run into this problem? Have you found a work-around as yet?

12 REPLIES 12
Frostie_
Contributor

Re: Host Checker will not start on Firefox 7

Hi

We ran into this last Friday, when the first users reported this problem.

Today I«ve verified this on Windows 7 64- and 32-Bit, where I«ve got the same results as you.

Like you, I also tried the Addon Compatibility Reporter, but with no effect, too.

Fortunately this problem does not occur on Windows XP, as most of our users are on Windows XP

Till now the only solution I know on Windows 7 is rolling back to Firefox 6.

elawford_
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Glad to know it's not just us. We also have the same workaround in place at the moment. For those on Windows 7, we're advising to use Internet Explorer until it is fixed.

I did attempt some debugging of the login page templates to see if it was something in the user-editable portion of the login pages. After digging around a little, it appears the function dsIsJavaAvailable() in clientSetup.js is returning false instead of true. This also explains why it works on Windows XP; a separate block of code is used to evaluate Java availability on XP.

Unfortunately clinetSetup.js is part of the core SA javascript code and not something that is properly fixable in the logon template (you could however probably hack in a temporary fix). There are apparently already hundreds of reports of this issue on Mozilla's site so hopefully it'll be fixed in the next patch release:

https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/880125

geom_
Occasional Contributor

Having same issue. I opeded a support incident in regards to it and was told that Firefox 7.0.1 is not supported and that they would not troubleshoot the issue. Certainly the 'right' answer, but they also don't support anything above 4.0 which is pretty old. Hard to tell users to go back to 3.6 which is the only version getting security updates. If you go back to 4.x I'm pretty sure the update path for security patches eventually leads you back to 7.0.1.

geom_
Occasional Contributor

Anyone have any update or workaround on this?

123go_
Contributor

No workaround unfortunately apart from using an older version of Firefox (e.g 3.6.x) or awesome Internet Explorer...

Juniper is currently working on a fix, will keep you posted when it's available

Thanks,

jspanitz_
Frequent Contributor

Is there a stated service level agreement on items like this? For example, a new browser version is made available and it unfortunately does not work with the SA. Can we expect support with 30 days, 2 months, etc?

It would be really nice to let the end users and management know what to expect.

haas_
Contributor

As a work around you can you the network connect on your start button. That is what I have been doing until FF fixes this issue.

123go_
Contributor

Hi jspanitz,

For guidelines on Supported / Qualified / Compatible platforms, please refer to the "Secure Access supported platform" guide.

"The platforms in this list are divided into two categories: compatible and qualified. The complete list of platforms/browsers in the document is supported. If problems are encountered on either a qualified or a compatible platform then Juniper support will attempt to resolve the issue"

The "qualified" lists Firefox 3.6 on Windows.

The "compatible" lists Firefox 3.0 and above.

That being said, Juniper cannot test a release in advance (this applies to all non Juniper products we interoperate with) and also considering now Firefox has moved to a Rapid Release cycle, and of course new releases can introduce some interoperability issues. For example Juniper is commited to support Firefox 7.0 in the next release 7.2, and also attempt to fix problems found with the current release train (as per Supported platforms policies). But if the problem is caused by a major design change in an external product, it is possible that Juniper is not able to fix it immediately before the next major relase, in which case you should consider staying with products listed in the qualified platform list, in this case Firefox 3.6

123go_
Contributor

This issue with new Firefox 7.0.1 will be resolved in IVE OS 7.1R5 (public release should be towards end of November 2011)