cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to configure cluster VIP for virtual systems?

liukkma_
Occasional Contributor

How to configure cluster VIP for virtual systems?

Ok, I have a little problem and I hope some of you experts can help me with this... I'm running SA4500 cluster (6.4R2) and I'm now adding couple of virtual systems in to it. New virtual systems are in their own vlans/subnets, which are different from vlan where the (physical) internal interface is. I have these virtual systems up already and traffic flows in the vlans as planned.. but I how do I configure cluster VIPs for virtual systems?!

Let's say I have root in addresses 192.168.100.1/24 (cluster VIP), 192.168.100.2/24 (active node) and 192.168.100.3/24 (passive node). Then I have a virtual system having 192.168.1.2 (active) and 192.168.1.3 (passive). I'd like to have 192.168.1.1 as a cluster VIP on this virtual system.

If I go to Internal Port -> Virtual Port on root, click "New Port" and try to add 192.168.1.1 (cluster IP on one of the virtual machines), all I get is this error:
Invalid IP "192.168.1.1", the IP is outside the ports network (192.168.100.0/24) on node [my IVS]

My question is where/how do you configure cluster VIP for virtual system?! Thanks much.

6 REPLIES 6
henryk_
Occasional Contributor

Re: How to configure cluster VIP for virtual systems?

hi we have a similar-ish setup but on sa6000's, when logged into root we set this up by going to network, vlans and building a virtual port for each IVS vlan.

Hope this helps.

liukkma_
Occasional Contributor

Hi, and thanks for the advice. Perhaps SA-4500 is a little different, because I still can't find where to configure cluser VIP... When I go to Network -> VLANs, I have configured an IP address for each of the nodes in VLAN, can not do the same for the cluster (IP-address field is then grayed out and just says "Node-specific").

This is a real problem, because we are using NC on that virtual system and currently the NC pool is routed to the active node. NC works until cluster switches to another node...

Kalex_
Contributor

Hi Liukkma,

I think Henryk's suggestion that you should use virtual ports is the right one, but they are not located under Network -> VLANs.

Instead, look at Network -> Internal and Network -> External port settings, you will find a Virtual Ports entry on each one.

These virtual ports are bound to the cluster, so a node change should not break access.

liukkma_
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your advices, I think I just found where to configure this!!! Smiley Very Happy

It's the admin interface that made this tricky... you have to go to Network -> VLANs, click the VLAN name and then you have Virtual Ports -tab under VLANs.

Kalex_
Contributor

Ah, thanks for the tip. I'll look into that one! Smiley Happy

henryk_
Occasional Contributor

yep that's where we did it - sorry if my earlier response wasn't clear. Nice work on finding it Smiley Happy