Some users with latest IE8 Windows Updates have Problems after successfull IVE Sign-In Page login - "page can not be displayed".
Looks like an SSL Handshake error.
Anywone expiriencing this issue?
The client devices are up to date (windows update), there was also some "crypto update for IE".
Maybe that causes the behaviour?
What IVE OS version are you running?
Is this something that you observed only after updating the IE patches or was there any change at all on the SA device.
If its an issue triggered by a IE update its easier to track by removing the update and see if the problem still exist.
If you dont see the problem then its likely that the new IE update is causing the problem.
You can then follow this up with JTAC.
No changes on IVE system.
When this client uses firefox, no problem.
So it is browserdependend issue, on IE8.
But when uses IE8, after login on IVE sing-in page, message "page can not be displayed".
I opened JTAC case, clearing ssl cache in browser and deleting cookies and temp. files did not resolve the issue.
Anyway, the enddevice of the user seems to have some undefinded "problem", i adviced the stuff to do new installation of the client system (windows xp).
I did not find any newer windows updates that have to do with crypto modules on that client.