cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSAM and FTP

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

JSAM and FTP

I'm trying to setup ftp access for an employee who is connecting to an AIX server. I've configured JSAM to open up ports 20, 21, and 23. This user is able to login via FTP and change directories and such. When he tries to download a file he gets the following error:

501 IP Address for data destination doesn't match client's.

Any ideas on how to make this work?

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: JSAM and FTP

I don't think you can make FTP work through JSAM. The address of the server is passed in the payload of the FTP setup packet, and JSAM does not capture or manipulate it, so the error you are seeing makes sense.

I do understand that passive FTP works through WSAM. You may want to give that a try.

Ken

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the response, but WSAM has the same results. This is very frustrating that something as simple as FTP won't work.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Did you use passive FTP?

FTP is old, but it is not simple. Very few modern applications require that the server make a TCP connection to the client, but FTP does. Of course, NAT broke this. That's why passive FTP was created.

And very few applications embed the server address in the payload of a packet.

Ken

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

That's a good question. I'm not a UNIX guy so I'll have to check with our server admin to see if it's setup as passive.

Highlighted
Contributor

You will definately need to use passive FTP as WSAM/JSAM does not allow server-initiated connections.