cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSAM on Vista

FattyAcid_
Occasional Contributor

JSAM on Vista

I'm running a dozen or SA-3000s here (hopefully getting some SA-2500s soon) and we use JSAM.

According to the IVE 5.5/6.0 Supported Platforms for JSAM:

"*Editing of hosts file and modification of registry values is not

available on Vista platforms".

How are people handling this issue on Vista? Without the ability the modify the hosts file, JSAM is useless to us.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
ChristopherHowar
Contributor

Re: JSAM on Vista

Hello, My understanding is that this issue existed in version 5.5 but has now been fixed in all versions of 6.0. It is not clear from your post which version you are running, I assume it is 5.5?
FattyAcid_
Occasional Contributor

Yes, we're currently running IVE 5.5.

Looking more closely at the 6.0 Supported Platforms, you appear to be partially correct.

Am I interpreting the Supported Platforms for IVE 6.0 document correct in that JSAM *should* be able to modify hosts file with IVE 6.0 as long as it's Windows Vista Enterprise no SP and SP1 (in 6.0R5 and above) with Internet Explorer 7.0 and Firefox 2.0 running Sun JRE 6.0? But if it's Vista Business, Vista Ultimate, or Vista Home, JSAM cannot modify the hosts file?

WTF? It only works on Vista Enterprise?

Business, Ultimate, and Home all have an asterik by them stating "Editing of hosts file and modification of registry values is not available on Vista platforms"

Confused....

sylvain_
Contributor

Hi Fatty,

I had the same problem with Vista and JSAM. My Workaround was to deactivate the User Access Control on my Vista workstation.

Brian_
Contributor

We discontinued automatic host file mapping due to the privelege requirements users need locally. Instead, setup an external, internet-facing DNS server to resolve server host names to JSAM. This works much better and will reduce help desk calls considerably. A locked down machine can still run traffic through JSAM. Look in the Admin Guide under Remote Access/Secure Application Manager/JSAM overview/Using JSAM for client-server communications/Configuring external DNS servers and users machines.