cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Junos Pulse on Android 3.1 HELP!

DrTechy_
New Contributor

Junos Pulse on Android 3.1 HELP!

So I know that there is no official support for Junos Pulse because all the documentation says you have to contact your administrator. So maybe someone here can help. I've got a Android Honeycomb 3.1 tablet, root access, and Junos Pulse installed. Junos Pulse is working perfectly on our iPads, but I'm trying to get it to work on the honeycomb tablets. It runs throught the process of asking for root access which I've given it. It goes through connecting asking for username and password no problem. But then it finishes processing and shows a disconnected status. Anyone having any luck with this? Or is there anyone who can offer suggestions? I can upload logs too if anyone can help. Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
zanyterp_
Respected Contributor

Re: Junos Pulse on Android 3.1 HELP!

Can you add the logs? Chances are we won't see something because it is not expected to have VPN connectivity, as you are aware. It sometimes works, but is not expected to setup the tunnel.

If you are an admin, can you confirm you are receiving the same roles between the two devices?

DrTechy_
New Contributor

The logs are attached. Unfortunately I'm not the administrator of our VPN solution either. When you say it's not expected to create the vpn tunnel what do you mean? If it doesn't create the tunnel what's the point? Maybe I'm just confused, but the Junos Pulse app on the ipad works perfectly and gains me access to everything on the network. It also works perfectly on my HTC Thunderbolt giving me access to everything. Its just on this LG G-slate running honeycomb 3.1 that it does not.

zanyterp_
Respected Contributor

Thank you for the update; the logs show that the connection is not coming up.

The Junos Pulse Mobile for Android application is designed to connect to the Junos Pulse Mobile Security Suite server (which allows monitoring of AV, backup, etc). It also allows access to the web-based bookmarks on the IVE/SA (I'm not sure how you refer to the remote access server). Due to limitations on the Android OS, VPN tunneling is not supported. Are there instances where it will work with rooted devices? Yes, but there is no support for the VPN tunnel.

The Junos Pulse Mobile for iOS application was designed to provide the VPN connection; it is allowed inside the iOS framework and interface for applications. Google does not allow this.

DrTechy_
New Contributor

Ok so the logs show the connection isn't coming up, what does that mean anything or just sorry looks like it doesn't work on your device (which I can accept, its android and there are a million flavors of it, can't expect it to work on all of them) or is it something else?

So if there is no support for it on Android why was the application even created on Android? Doesn't make sense to me? What's the point of connecting if it won't create the tunnel? Is that just a way for Symantec to cover their butts to say it may or may not work? Maybe I'm just not knowledgeable enough on the subject, but I've been in the IT support field for 10 years and this just doesn't make sense to me.

zanyterp_
Respected Contributor

It looks like it will not work on your device; the error message specifically indicates that the device couldn't connect to the device and the tunnel could not be created.

It is created for two reasons: interaction with the Junos Pulse Mobile Security Suite for monitoring/security with the device and to provide access to web-based bookmarks to access internal sites remotely.

DrTechy_
New Contributor

Gotcha, I can accept that. Thanks so much for your help. And if you guys need a mule to test let me know, I'm always willing to help!

zanyterp_
Respected Contributor

Glad to help; sorry it doesn't work consistently for your Android devices. I'm sure your Juniper SE would be willing to talk with you about this in the future.