Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Junos Pulse on MAC air does't solve DNS

SOLVED
NIS_Dom_
Contributor

Junos Pulse on MAC air does't solve DNS

Hello guys,

Was wondering if anyone came across this issue at all.

I have installed the Junos Pulse app on MAC air and it connects fine but when trying to access anything using names it doesn't do anything.

When app installed on iPhone/iPad the VPN tunnel is created automatically in phone/ipad settings but it doesn't create anything at MAC....

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
em_platinum_
Contributor

Re: Junos Pulse on MAC air does't solve DNS

Are you using split tunneling?  If so under Resource Policies / VPN Tunneling / Connection Profiles / DNS Settings do you have proper DNS servers and search domain specified or If you have this set to use IVE settings do you have correct DNS settings defined under Network / Overview / DNS name resolution?  If using DHCP, have you verified the DHCP server is set to give out proper DNS settings?

Have you verified the MBAir is actually receiving the IP addresses of the correct DNS server as well as search domain?

I'm using Pulse 5.0 on my MB Air with OS X Mavericks and SA8.0 and everything works fine.   If you are on 7.4 make sure and it's OS X Mavericks in question, make sure you are on at least 7.4R7 and the Pulse client from that build or newer is used, as this is when Mavericks compatibility was added.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
em_platinum_
Contributor

Are you using split tunneling?  If so under Resource Policies / VPN Tunneling / Connection Profiles / DNS Settings do you have proper DNS servers and search domain specified or If you have this set to use IVE settings do you have correct DNS settings defined under Network / Overview / DNS name resolution?  If using DHCP, have you verified the DHCP server is set to give out proper DNS settings?

Have you verified the MBAir is actually receiving the IP addresses of the correct DNS server as well as search domain?

I'm using Pulse 5.0 on my MB Air with OS X Mavericks and SA8.0 and everything works fine.   If you are on 7.4 make sure and it's OS X Mavericks in question, make sure you are on at least 7.4R7 and the Pulse client from that build or newer is used, as this is when Mavericks compatibility was added.

View solution in original post

NIS_Dom_
Contributor

Hi em_platinum,

Thanks a lot for your reply. The DNS setting looks correct

Users->Resource Policies->Connection Profiles->"VPN"->DNS Settings->Manual DNS Settings: I have configured Primary Secondary DNSes DNS, domain & WINS

As I said it works when I connect via Junos Pulse from iPhone/iPad

There is actually no configuration done in Split-tunnelling Networks tab so not too sure if I use split tunneling or not.

Sorry I'm quite new to this...

The MBAir receive the correct ip address form the pool configured on IVE, it has correct DNSes but still can not ping using names...

em_platinum_
Contributor

Go to System / Platform and what is the current version and model?

On the Mac go to Apple icon in menu abr and About This Mac and what is the verson of OS X?

In Junos Pulse client on Mac, go to Junos Pulse in menu bar and then About Junos Pulse and what is the version there?

Can the Mac ping using IP addresses or do you not get any replies when using IP?

NIS_Dom_
Contributor

em_platinum,

I have figured it out. I have locked the access down using Users ->Resource Policies -> Access Control only to one server which is not my DNS...

I have added:

tcp://X.X.X.X:53

udp://X.X.X.X:53

tcp://X.X.X.Y:53

udp://X.X.X.Y:53

Where X.X.X.X and X.X.X.Y are the ip addresses of my primary and secondary DNS server and everything started working.

Thanks a lot for you help.

NIS_Dom_
Contributor

em_platinum,

By the way which one is better for Apple devices: Junos Pulse or Network Connect...??

Currently our users can not log to ssl using web browser... What has to be configured and possibly where to get the Network Connect working?

I would like to deploy it automatically when successfully authenticated.

Thanks,

Dom

mattspierce_
Frequent Contributor

Pulse is the only option for OSX With Mavericks.

http://kb.pulsesecure.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB28278&smlogin=true

NIS_Dom_
Contributor

Hi 

em_platinum_
Contributor

Pulse is the future and, as far as I know, intended to replace Network Connect  There are stills ome things available in NC that haven't made it to Pulse yet, so you need to evaluate specific needs. 

Here's some reading on the subject of Pulse vs NC:

https://forums.pulsesecure.net/topic/pulse-connect-secure/215341-NC-vs-Pulse

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos-pulse4.0/topics/reference/a-c-c-nc-comparing.html (note that this talks about Pulse 4.0 and Pulse is up to 5.0 now)