cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local user accounts on ive - how many?

spacyfreak_
Contributor

Local user accounts on ive - how many?

How many local user accounts can be created on ive?

Is there an automatism to push masses of users into the local user database (2000 Users)

5 REPLIES 5
muttbarker_
Valued Contributor

Re: Local user accounts on ive - how many?

There is a limit in the 10's of 1000's - so 2000 is not an issue

You can use XML to import your users - Maintenance / Import-Export / XML

spacyfreak_
Contributor

thanx for reply.

Have there been any issues with corrupt local database in the past ?

I am frightened if the users will still be "there" when i do an upgrade of IVE system... ;-)

yeah i know about xml import.

But xml export/import does not include user passwords as i did read in knowledgebase so its useless for me. Or does it?

I think i will work with linux and radiusservice which is easy to implement and stable...

alan_
Contributor

One gotcha to be aware of - the user's local bookmarks are tied to the authentication method. So if you have 2000 local accounts and then switch to RADIUS they will lose their bookmarks.
muttbarker_
Valued Contributor

Personally I would never use the local DB for authentication for anything other than Admin users and a test user or two. I think that a Radius authentication model is much better. Did not want to "insult" you by saying that Smiley Happy

I have not run into issues with corruption of data across upgrades - But your radius gives you more long term flexibility with role mapping, etc.....

spacyfreak_
Contributor

Hi alan, my old friend! ;-)

Well, as the bookmarks are mapped to the first authentication method, and the local auth would be only second auth, i think there should be no problem with the bookmarks.

Yeah, radius is more flexible etc - but when for this "special" need the local database is "doing da job" i ask myself - why not.

I can back up them automatically via onboard archive feature to a linux server , and the login goes little bit faster as no external server has to be contacted.

I love it "simple and stupid". Complicated solutions with many dependencies make more problems...

The second auth is just needed in this special case for some kind of "pin". I would prefer to fetch that pin-value from active directory, any of not used user properties fields, but i still did not find a way to get it running.

Maybe some expert with two brains looks at my other requests here and has some idea how to use attributes in active directory in combination with radius for secondary authentication...