We are considering moving from locally installed licenses to a license server set up and I just want to be sure I understand a few things correctly.Today we have an Active/Passive Cluster with 350 licenses in each box giving us a total of 700 licenses.
1. Am I correct in thinking each box can surrender its 350 existing licenses to the new licensing server and then 700 licenses will be available to any appliance registered to the licensing server?
2. For the surrendered licenses are there any restrictions on which type of hardware can use then? For example, today the cluster is build with MAG-SM160 but in the future we may upgrade to MAG-SM360 to increase capacity. In this case could the MAG-SM360s use the licenses surrendered by the SM160s'?
3. Are meeting licenses (e.g.. ACCESSX600-MTG-25U) also managed by the licensing server or do we still need locally installed licenses?
4. Am I correct in thinking each appliance will still need it's own ICE licenses?
2: yes-has to be same type. for example, an ACCESSX600 can be shared between the SM360 and SM160 but not an x500 device (and vice versa)
3: locally installed, same as ICE
Thanks for the answers. A couple of additional questions:
1. Does the licensing server have to be the on the same version as the members appliances?
2. Do all the members need to be on the same version, e.g. when doing an upgrade could be upgrade on box first then others at a later dates (assuming they are not clustered)?
3. Is there a mechanism to transfer licenses to a new licensing server, e.g. when the current box is End of Life?