cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My IVE Upgrade Plan - please review

Highlighted
Super Contributor

My IVE Upgrade Plan - please review

I can't handle another all at once major upgrade and all the calls associated with it so I've devised this plan. I'd like your opinion:

- Break my cluster of SA-6000's

- Create a completely new config on the old backup, New IP's, new URLS, new certs

- Push the upgrade slowly to selected groups of users. Basically just a new shortcut.

- As upgrade completes rejoin the old primary to the cluster as a backup.

Any thoughts on if this will work ? Am I violating a license agreement ?

Thanks,

Justin

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: My IVE Upgrade Plan - please review

We tried this a few years ago and ran into licensing issues. I think you'll find you don't have a valid license to run the backup box with a new config
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Justin -

The licensing problem can be fixed by Juniper. They can give you an 8-week license. Discuss it with your SE.

One thing you might consider is to "pre-push" the Network Connect package by SMS or other means you have to do that. Do you use the Juniper Installer Service?

Ken

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Thanks for the reply..

So you split up your cluster and then applied the 8-week one to the new box ? Then when people were converted, you rejoined the cluster and applied the old license to the box ? Is that correct ?

I have thought about pre-pushing new versions of NetConnect but if users log into an older version it typically uninstalls everything else doesnt it ?

Also, What version of installer do you push out ? Does it have to be tied to the current code on the box ? Has it resolved issues for you ?

Thanks,

Justin

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Justin -

see my responses to your questions in italics below -

So you split up your cluster and then applied the 8-week one to the new box ? Then when people were converted, you rejoined the cluster and applied the old license to the box ? Is that correct ?

We applied the 8-week license to the SA which originally had the cluster license on it. This allows it to run standalone. Then, when we were ready to rebuild the cluster, we deleted the 8-week license, reapplied the original cluster license, and rejoined the cluster. Before you do so, I'd export all the configurations from both boxes.

I have thought about pre-pushing new versions of NetConnect but if users log into an older version it typically uninstalls everything else doesnt it ?

No. I currently have Network Connect 6.2, 6.3, 6.4, and 6.5 on my PC. If I log into a SA with 6.4 on it, it uses that one. It works differently for most other downloads - WSAM and Host Checker for sure. For those, you are allowed only one version, and if you log into a SA with a different s/w version, a deinstall/reinstall takes place.

Also, What version of installer do you push out ? Does it have to be tied to the current code on the box ? Has it resolved issues for you ?

I'd check with JTAC on this. My memory on this issue is that there was a change to the installer somewhere around 6.2, and the pre-6.2 installer would not work with Network Connect 6.3. However, the 6.3 installer would work with earlier versions of NC. We use this mostly to help us deal with machines on which the user does not have admin privileges. You must have admin privileges to install the installer, but subsequent installsa of NC, etc. do not require admin privileges.

Hope this is helpful. We haven't had the pleasure of our first SA upgrade since rolling out NC to about 80,000 users (so far). Unfortunately, I can't postpone it till after my retirement (about a year out unless the economy stays tanked).

Ken