I am hoping someone could help.
We upgraded from firmware 6.3 to 7.2r2 and since then our NC doesnt work any more. However if I roll back to 6.3 it works perfectly.
There seems to be something different in the new version that is no longer allowing us to RDP to servers.
I have compared both configs and they are both the same, i just cant work out what is going.
JTAC even tried to login but encountered the same problem, thus it cant be any install fault because they would have had the same install files.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Couple of things...
Check your NC ACL maybe?
Also, are you accessing the severs via name or IP address, if by hostname, make sure your DNS settings are intact.
Is the problem isolated to a particular role?
Is RDP the only thing you're having a problem with?
Have you tried creating a new NC profile?
Trace route stops at the internal IP address which is listed at Sys > NW > Internal Port > Settings.
If I do a trace route back from the client pc that i am connected on with NC, it stops at the default IP: 10.200.200.200
my NC ACL settings are the same on both versions,, 6.3 and 7.2.
We dont use the DNS name, we connect the end points using IP addresses. I have checked that DNS server IP are maintained throughout both firmware versions and they are.
Not sure what it could be, but NC is having problems for us on 7.2, everything else is working prefectly fine, all realms have come up ok.
Under Sys > Network > NC
All i have is * under the IP Address Filter
This is back on 6.3 as I had to roll it back due to business requirements, but will be back to testing 7.2 on tuesday.
Please take a client side network connect log ,a wireshark capture from the NC adapter,policy trace and a TCP dump from the SA internal port when it is in 6.3 and working.
This will help us in investigation the issue