cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Connect runs just once per installation

Ken-J_
Contributor

Network Connect runs just once per installation

I have a user who reports that Network Connect runs on her Windows XP machine exactly once each time she installs it. Whether she reboots the computer or not, once the first NC session is terminated, subsequent attempts to run NC do not work. I don't have any diagnostic messages or logs yet.

If the user uninstalls and reinstalls Network Connect, it runs one more time. Repeat for each time she wants to use Network Connect.

I'm positive I have seen this once before, and I think that it was some arcane Windows issue, but I can't remember any more than that and I can't find old notes. Anyone have any leads?

5 REPLIES 5
RKB_
Frequent Contributor

Re: Network Connect runs just once per installation

Ken,

Use the windows process monitor utility and run this before launching network connect (2nd time). In the event there is any other program that is blocking network connect from launching will fire up and show in the process monitor.

This is one way you can track if there is a program interfering with another during its run time.

Steffen_
Contributor

Hi,

I just get yesterday a similar problem. What I found so far:

• NC running on WinXP with IE8.
  • SA2500 is running 6.5R3.1.
  • NC works fine since some days ago. User said he hasn't change anything. (But patches are done automatically as far as I remember.)
  • When starting NC without browser, the login page won't be displayed. After the usual timeout a message is displayed that the page cannot be displayed. (That one you will see in IE, if a webpage can't be reached.).
  • Accessing SA through webinterface is fine. Starting NC through the start button NC won't start.
  • Accessing SA's webinterface with Firefox instead of IE and pressing the NC start button will start NC's installation procedure and NC connect will work for that session.
  • Starting NC after this directly will works once.
  • And problems starting again ...

I have only few occasions to contact the user so debugging is currently not possible.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Steffen

stine_
Super Contributor

I would look at cookie handling on the client machine. Or another conflicting VPN client.

I've seen the opposite happen. For example, on WinXPsp3 using IE8 / FF3.6 and IVE7.0, if you start NC using the NC client launcher, and connect/login normall, and the right-click the task-bar icon and select Exit, the tunnel is disconnected and the NC client exits. If you then open the NC launcher again (and you session hasn't expired on the SA), you'll be connected and logged in without prompting. I don't recall this behavior from 6.5 or prior, but I may simply be forgetting it.

In the users' NC client, is the correct URL displayed?

Do your IVE logs show successful connections from the user?

Is the user on a 3G/4G connection, if so, the carriers proxy server (esp. AT&T) is going to prevent the user from staying connected for more than a few minutes at a time, unless you allow unlimited roaming. When I've had this problem, my address changed from 166.x.x.x to 32.x.x.x after about 4 minutes. Since then, I force my connection to not use AT&T's proxy.

Is the user in a hotel or other captive-portal network, where the first connection must be an intercetpable HTTP connection, in order to be redirected to the ToS page. I had this happen in at least two locations, where if the first connection was not http that could be re-directed to the hotel's TOS page, and was instead an HTTPS connection, I would receive page not found in the NC client, or in IE/FF for that matter.

Another thing to check is the local subnet address of the XP client. If it conflicts with your SA's NC subnets, while the client will start, there won't be any connectivity because both networks are in the same address space.. I've not run into this in practice, but have been able to cause in a test environment.

Steffen_
Contributor

Hi stine,

> Or another conflicting VPN client.

No oother VPN client or cormparable software installed.

> In the users' NC client, is the correct URL displayed?

Yes, the correct URL is displayed.

> Do your IVE logs show successful connections from the user?

Yes, SA logged successful login but nothing about NC is started.

> Is the user on a 3G/4G connection, [...] Is the user in a hotel or other captive-portal network.

No, the user is behind a simple NAT router without any outgoing filters.

> Another thing to check is the local subnet address of the XP client.

The client's local subnet is different form the companies addresses.

- Steffem

stine_
Super Contributor

Ok, I'm stumped...

I can't think of anything else to look at that wouldn't require you to have this laptop in your hands...