cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network connect and personal firewall

New Contributor

Network connect and personal firewall

Hi,

We have a personal firewall installed onto all of our remote laptops, which is set to allow all applications for known trusted devices. It identifies known/trusted devices by the use of connection specific DNS suffix on the network adapter. This worked fine on our old VPN kit as we could set it in the config, but since using the Juniper we can find no way to set a connection specific DNS suffix on the Network Connect settings.

This has the affect that users get lots of firewall popups and in a large majority people are not reading the message and locking themselves out.

Is there any known way of setting a connection specific DNS suffix with Network Connect?

rafelev

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: Network connect and personal firewall

Do you mean you want users logging in to Network Connect to be assigned a DNS Suffix ?

ie.. if I log in and ping fileserver, you want Netconnect to append a DNS Suffix so the request is fileserver.test-domain.com ?

If that is the case, the under Network Connect Connection Profiles, click the DNS Tab, there is a field for DNS Domain(s).

Justin

Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi Justin,

Thanks for the responce, but thats not quite what I meant. I know if you put all the DNS suffix into that field it will search them all in order when doing a DNS lookup with the short name.

If you do an ipconfig/all you see the Network connect adapter, and the Connection-specific DNS Suffix field is blank. What I need is a way to force a connection specific DNS suffix to the Network Connect adapter if possible.

rafelev

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

We also have this issue. For some reason the Network Connect adapter won't accept the DHCP option for domain name. This would the populate the DNS suffix field. The Windows Firewall uses the DNS suffix of the network adapter to determinei which firewall policy to implement. When connected via Network Connect the firewall remains up because this DNS suffix isn't popluated. This causes issues when you need to remotely administer a user's PC while they are connected via Network Connect.
Highlighted
Not applicable

We are having same issue. Were you able to resolve the issue?