cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nework Connect and Websense Remote Filtering

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Nework Connect and Websense Remote Filtering

We recently pushed out a Websense 7.1 Remote Filtering agent to all of our PC's and now Network Connect is having issues. It will connect fine, but it seems as if all traffic is very slow or times out altogether.

There have been no configuration changes made recently to our SA-4000 (6.3R6.1). Anybody else heard anything about this or experienced this?

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: Nework Connect and Websense Remote Filtering

Hi,

Is it all traffic or all web traffic ?

We looked into the Remote Filtering Agent as well but had performance concerns. Each time the Internet is accessed you must traverse to some far off site to check if the destination is acceptable.

Is it any faster for people in the same region as your Websense server. Latency has to come into play here.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

No significant latency to speak of because of the agent.

Its just with Network Connect that ALL traffic comes to a standstill. We are working a case with Websense right now.

Highlighted
Contributor

I can't help on this issue, but just want to add that Websense 7 has been the bane of my existance. With their acquisition of Surfcontrol, the have a strangle hold on the filtering market. Their filter wouldn't be nearly as bad if they just had a few decent troubleshooting tools. There commandline debug tool works, but come on. Can't they come up with a way to turn on logging of their components? I still don't have the DC agent working right after a year of trying. Debugging is nearly impossible.

I bought some licenses for the remote filtering, but my success with their main product stopped me from even trying it.

-=Dan=-

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@DanSmart wrote:

I can't help on this issue, but just want to add that Websense 7 has been the bane of my existance.

Be thankful you never had to deal with 6.x, Websense 7.1 is actually one of the most stable versions I've used in the past 4 years. There's definitely a learning curve but aside from stability issues in the past I'm not unhappy with how things are now. I'd definitely recommend opening tickets with Websense to address your problems... these days it's harder to get a tech on the phone than it used to be but unlike Juniper at least their Level 1 techs are still very knowledgable and have always been helpful to me. Sorry Juniper, but your Level 1 support for the past year has stank compared to previous years... something's very wrong when customers know more about the product than level 1 support.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@deaconz wrote:

No significant latency to speak of because of the agent.

Its just with Network Connect that ALL traffic comes to a standstill. We are working a case with Websense right now.

Back on topic... I'm wondering if there's something misconfigured with your Network Connect policies... something that doesn't cause an issue unless Websense RF is involved. Just sounds to me like the Remote Filtering agent is trying to query the remote filtering server and timing out.

What kind of access are you giving the computer through NC? Can it talk to the Websense Remote Filtering server / Filtering Service on the ports it needs? I forget exactly how Remote Filtering works (we never implemented it due to cost since it only protects your laptops during the time that they aren't on your internal network or VPN) but I believe it's supposed to shut off when it figures out it's on your network and will be filtered by your Websense Filtering Service, right?