cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCS doesn't cleanup DNS on shutdown

PCS doesn't cleanup DNS on shutdown

I've noticed that if I connect to a tunnel and then shut down my computer, DNS in /etc/resolv.conf doesn't get cleaned up which results in broken DNS when the system is booted again.

Before connecting to the tunnel, my /etc/resolv.conf is a symlink to /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf and I can resolve DNS queries.

After connecting, /etc/resolv.conf is unlinked and is hardcoded with IPs provided from the tunnel, as expected. DNS still works.

If I then shut down or reboot, /etc/resolv.conf is left with the hardcoded IPs and I cannot resolve queries when the system is booted, and I cannot connect to the VPN because it cannot resolve the hostname for the VPN server.

The solution is to delete /etc/resolv.conf and re-link it from /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf.

I've been exploring how to elegantly clean this up, but it appears A) it's difficult to detect that the VPN is up - ipsec status shows nothing, B) using the CLI client to kill the tunnel does kill the tunnel but doesn't cleanup DNS, C) because it's difficult to detect when the VPN is up it's difficult to elegantly clean up DNS - I don't want to mess with DNS unless I'm both shutting the system down AND there are one or more tunnels connected. Is anyone else hitting this problem, and what would you recommend for a solution?

Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS

Linux myhostname 4.13.0-43-generic #48~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Thu May 17 12:56:46 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Pulse Secure Network Connect client for Linux.
Version         : 5.3
Release Version : 5.3-4-Build617
Build Date/time : Dec  4 2017 04:14:44
Copyright 2017 Pulse Secure

Thanks in advance!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: PCS doesn't cleanup DNS on shutdown

I experienced this issue on Linux Mint 18.3 (based on Ubuntu 16.04.4) with 5.3R4.2(639) client for the first time today.

While connected to the VPN my Internet connection became flakey. With unresponsive PCS GUI, I manually killed PCS using the 'pulsesvc' CLI command. The hard coded resolv.conf file remained. It persisted after reboots and restarting network services. I restored everything with 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure resolvconf' not knowing about the symlink in normal operation.

Following dpkg-reconfigure and reboot, the PCS client behaves normally. I connect and resolv.conf is hardcoded. I disconnect and it becomes a symlink again.

Re: PCS doesn't cleanup DNS on shutdown

Ubuntu 18.04:

Killing `pulsesvc` and restarting `systemd-resolved` daemon helped me:

sudo pkill pulsesvc

sudo service systemd-resolved restart