cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing from SQL Server Reporting Services via Web Bookmark Fails

Occasional Contributor

Printing from SQL Server Reporting Services via Web Bookmark Fails

Working on getting printing from internal Web Application that leverages SQL Server Reporting Services to generate a printed Report. If I do the same process from our internal network it runs without issue. If I try the same process I get to the option to print it provides the dialogue to print but once I select a printer and select ok nothing happens. The SQL Server Reporting Service is on the same server so accessing it via port 80 should be all that is required. I looked at the PCS Logs and there is no errors I see the print request and all. Printer is even connected via USB directly to the PC. Was hoping to see something in the PCS logs showing something blocked or what not but nothing. Running PCS 8.2R7.1 on the MAG6611.
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Printing from SQL Server Reporting Services via Web Bookmark Fails

Are you printing using the SQL server print option OR the browser print function? If the latter, I would expect it to work; however, the former may need a direct socket connection and will not work. Can you check with your SQL admin on how the printing function works and if it needs direct access? Another option is to look at a TCP dump when this happens both on the LAN & through the PCS (please note the trace through the PCS should be taken on the internal port and for verification on the client NIC as well) to compare. I am expecting that when the print action is done, there is a new connection sequence that initiates on the SQL server OR it wants direct access to the client.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

The printing is from the SQL Server Print button and not from the browser function. I will have to do a PCAP and see how it is being sent. Shouldn't I see something in the PCS logs to show that connection being attempted and not allowed?
ruc
Pulser

For Web based access (web bookmark) the logs will only contain successful and denied web requests. However in your case I suspect the print functionality is not pure web traffic and hence not  being sent via PCS web access method. I think capturing a PCAP when using this application/functionality over  LAN is a good starting point. If it turns out its using non-web traffic then you can configure Pulse L3 VPN client to enable secure remote access to this app instead of web bookmark based access. If its pure web traffic and still not working you may have to open a support case with the logs mentioned in https://kb.pulsesecure.net/articles/Pulse_Secure_Article/KB40981 which will allow support to understand why the rewrite engine is not intercepting and securing traffic for this print work flow.