cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ProperJavaRDP & iPad (&Android...)

Highlighted
New Contributor

ProperJavaRDP & iPad (&Android...)

I am unable to get terminal services to work using ProperJavaRDP despite having cruised this forum, and read/tried just about everything mentioned.

We have a SA 2000 (6.5r7 b16789) and have...

1. created a Terminal Services Resource Profile named ProperJavaRDP Test
  2. enabled Java Support and followed the instructions as detailed in KB16835.
  3. grabbed ProperJavaRDP off of SourceForge and uploaded the applet.
  4. I updated the HTML code and making the following two changes (and leaving everything else)...
  5. <param name="Server" value="192.168.100.19">
    <param name="Port" value="3389">
  6. selected the Always Use this Java applet.
  7. Finally, I added the Resource Profile to a Role

When I logon to my site using an iPad (3.2.2) or Android (2.2) and clicky the Terminal Services "ProperJavaRDP Test" link the devices prompt me to open a new window (which I allow) and then...NOTHING...I only see in the upper right corner the SA's little toolbar that lets me go home or exit. Kind of like limbo. I feel like I'm missing a file or something.

Also in my troubleshooting I read in the forum message ProperJavaRDP for Mac RDP and grabbed the zip file with the JAR files that the great and honorable Kevin Barker posted. Still the same result on my devices.

Thank you in advance.

EDIT: Fixed hyperlinks

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Re: ProperJavaRDP & iPad (&Android...)

Last I heared, the iPad doesn't support Java so you won't be able to run the ProperRDP applet. Apple decides which applications you want to run, not you Smiley Happy

Android might work, but I think the best way to make sure the configuration is correct is to try it with a regular computer first. Once it works there, you know the config is ok and you can try the other devices.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Ah! Yes, should have included that information. I can confirm that it the ProperJavaRDP Test policy works perfectly when I hit it with xp/7 using the top 4 browser flavors.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Justin - you are of course correct - the ProperJava RDP does not run on the Android OS - I had not tested it until now - off the top of my head I don't have a clue as to "why not" - If I get some time I will play with it.

However, have you ever worked with any of the Android emulators out there? There is a new one that I haven't tried but is supposed to make it much easier to emulate an Android OS on a Windows PC. Here is the link to it:

http://www.redmondpie.com/android-emulator-for-windows/

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

as mentioned by the others, iPad doesn't support Java.

I didn't think that android had a JVM/JRE either so would not be able to use the applet.

Highlighted
Contributor

Hi,

since iOS 4.2.1 for iPad is out you can use one of the iPad RDP clients in combination with the Juniper Pulse App.

This way you use RDP over VPN instead of RDP through a HTTPS web session.

If you use split tunneling which sends only our RDP traffic through the VPN it looks quite similar to RDP through the web browser: secure RDP with simultaneous internet access of your iPad.

- Steffen

Highlighted
New Contributor

Did anyone ever get ProperRDP working on Android? I have it working on Win 7, but not on Android.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: ProperJavaRDP

I do not believe it is possible for Java applets to run on Android; there is no browser plug-in for this OS. The applications are written in Java, or at least some of them, but those are stand-alone applications not applets hosted by web servers.
Highlighted
New Contributor

So the next question is, are Juniper going produce RDP clients for Android and Apple that run on the MAG series? We are seeing more and more people that are tablet and mobile client based, not PC client based.

As the trend is towards these devices, it would seem a sensible way forward on the product roadmap.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I can't comment on future support or not; but I would think that it would be hard to do that as it would be separate installations/applications?that would be a good question for your account team.
However, with that said, with the HTML5 support introduced in 7.4, it is possible to use HTML5-basd clients such as the one from Ericomm for access from these types of devices (and all other ones that support HTLM5)