cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pulse Secure App crashing Wi-Fi connected Android devices

Highlighted
New Contributor

Pulse Secure App crashing Wi-Fi connected Android devices

I have a Galaxy Note Pro tablet (Android v5.02) and a Galaxy S5 phone (Android v5.0). I've only been running the Pulse Secure app on both for a short time, but as recently as yesterday it was working fine for VPN-ing to my corporate WAN. This morning it started crashing both devices, apparently when and only when the device is connected via Wi-Fi. The app opens OK at first, but it crashes the device when I start to initiate the VPN connection. Behind the pop-up error window, I can see the connection status is rotating between "Disconnected", "Connecting", and "Not Supported". The error message just says "Unfortunately, Pulse Secure has stopped". Unfortunately, the error window cannot be cleared, by clicking either "OK" or "Report". It prevents me using Device Manager to force the application closed, such that I am forced to reboot the device. The application still works fine on the phone if I use a 4G data connection, but not when I use Wi-Fi. The tablet is Wi-Fi only, so no work-around there. I've tried a couple different Wi-Fi connections with the same result. Both devices run Pulse Secure v5.2.1.61475. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing the app on the tablet, but the problem persists there. Any suggestions?
Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: Pulse Secure App crashing Wi-Fi connected Android devices

A quick followup: this afternoon I dug out my iOS device (an old iPhone 4), installed Pulse Secure on it (v5.1.3.60077 from the Apple Store), and tested it alongside my Android devices. The iOS version of the app works no problem, when connected to the same WiFi hotspots, same corporate VPN portals, same credentials that the Android devices are failing on.

As I mentioned above, the Android app works fine with a 4G connection. But I'm noticing when WiFi is used, there's an extra prompt that comes up. The prompt states, "Pulse Secure is requesting permission to set up a VPN connection...." and asks whether to allow it. It is after you click "OK" in response to this prompt that the crash occurs. That prompt does not appear when 4G is in use, and there is no corresponding crash.

This is acting like a permissions-related bug in the current Android version of the app.
Highlighted

Re: Pulse Secure App crashing Wi-Fi connected Android devices

I am also seeing this issue. I would really like to be able to use this client on my Galaxy S5 at home where we do not get cell service (thus it is wifi only). Is there any update on this?