cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pulse Secure Client Login - Is This Normal?

Highlighted
Contributor

Pulse Secure Client Login - Is This Normal?

What we're with 8.2 is that when users connect using the Pulse Secure application in the system tray (rather than through the web portal) it used to prompt for username and password as part of the Pulse Secure application so it was seamless.

Now it seems when you hit "connect" in the PCS application in the system tray it's opening a web browser to ask you to login, which you do, then once logged in the web page disappears and the Pulse application carries on.

We use Duo though I don't think that's anything to do with the issue as this happens before you've logged in so the PSA doesn't know who you are at that point.

I haven't opened a case yet, is anyone else seeing this?
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted

Re: Pulse Secure Client Login - Is This Normal?

Yes, that is correct with 8.2
The 8.2 PCS version introduced support for custom pages, such as is required for Duo, and that is handled by presenting the web page through the browser
No, this cannot be disabled at this time; if you would like to have control over this as an admin, I would recommend opening an enhancement with your account team
Highlighted
Contributor

Thanks for clarifying.

I guess people have differing opinions but it seems like a backward step IMO.

The older Pulse Secure clients where it was integrated just looked more polished.

As I type this I can see a big benefit which is the fact it can display the full Duo "push" dialogue rather than having to type in "push" "sms" or whatever it may be, but it still looks a little bit "broken" in how it flows - just a personal view Smiley Happy
Pulser

The ultimate goal is to have the Pulse client behave similar to a browser when interacting with custom sign in pages so we can better support any login flow that works from a normal browser.

I can see how the UX is not optimal for customers that are happy with Pulse Client's standard prompts. In 8.2 R3 there is a switch to control the behaviour. The option is labelled 'Use Custom Page for Pulse Desktop Client Logon' and is available under Admin GUI > Sign in Pages > Select the custom Sign in page that you want to modify

Helper text for the switch:
"When checked the Pulse Desktop Client will open a web browser and use custom pages for authentication instead of standard login prompts."

Does this help?
Highlighted
Contributor

Thank you, we aren't on 8.3 R3 yet (probably go to that this week) but that sounds like the option if you're saying it will simply mimic/revert the original behaviour?

I do like that the new option presents the Duo login page but I can't quite put my finger on it but the user experience just feels a bit broken in that I've had tons of calls from people asking "This doesn't quite seem right, should it be doing that?".
Highlighted

Thanks, Ruc!
I wasn't aware of the new toggle; that will be nice to have.
Highlighted
Contributor

Are either of you aware of any similar chaos going to 8.2 R3 from 8.2 R1 that we had going from 8.1 to 8.2 please?

We used Juniper for years and it was seamless but the 8.2 upgrade has left me a bit cautious (I can't reasonably test on a virtual appliance as we wouldn't truly know until clients start hitting it and upgrading etc.)

Thanks Smiley Happy
Highlighted

It should be better, as far as I am aware.
There were changes to 8.2R3 that should mitigate most/all of the issues upgrading (as far as we have seen reported and in our testing).