cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pulse Secure Installer Service vs Pulse Application Launcher Installer

Occasional Contributor

Pulse Secure Installer Service vs Pulse Application Launcher Installer

I am evaluating 8.3 for an upgrade from 8.1 and was trying to clarify what if any is difference between Pulse Secure Installer Service and  Pulse Application Launcher.

Is PAL a replacement for the Installer services?

If not which should I pre-deploy to our desktop clients?

If I am deploying the Pulse Desktop Client do I also need PAL or the Installer Service? We also use some none client based components when using web based access.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Pulse Secure Installer Service vs Pulse Application Launcher Installer

Yes, there is a difference in the two items.

Is PAL a replacement for the Installer services?
>>z: No

If not which should I pre-deploy to our desktop clients?

>>z: Only the installer service can be pre-deployed (and is not needed if your users are admin on their systems).

If I am deploying teh Pulse Desktop Client do I also need PAL or the Installer Service?...

>>z: It is up to you. If your users are admins, no; if they are not, yes (for the installer service). For your non-Pulse users, they will be prompted to install the Pulse Application Launcher as-needed when they login to the web and attempt to  launch a client component.

The installer service is what allows non-admin users to install the software components; it needs to be installed as an admin on the machines.

The Pulse Secure Application Launcher is the non-Java & non-ActiveX way to launch the Pulse Secure client componenets through the web.

Community Manager

Hello DCVERS,

PSAL (Pulse Secure Application Launcher) is an alternative solution to allow deployment of Pulse Secure applications via browser who no longer support ActiveX or Java (i.e. Chrome, Windows Edge, etc).  The following article provides further details on PSAL (https://kb.pulsesecure.net/articles/Pulse_Secure_Article/KB40102/).  In short, PSAL is only required to be installed if end users will be launching Pulse Secure components via a web browser. If end user will be launching directly from Pulse Secure Desktop client, then PSAL is not needed.

Pulse Secure Install Service is built-in to the Pulse Secure Desktop client.  This is leveraged to perform the upgrade procedure within the Pulse client. There is no need for additional installation of the installer service if Pulse Secure Desktop client is only used.  If end user are not going to use Pulse Secure Desktop client (i.e Secure Application Manager or Network Connect) and do not have admin privileges to install application, then the separate Installer Service is recommended.

Occasional Contributor

From the previous responses, the questions regarding PAL should be answered.

Please be sure you understand any additional risks regarding upgrade to 8.3 from 8.2. Our company has not agreed on the 8.3 due to the instability of the system to respond correctly to an active/passive failover event in a clustered environment.

Occasional Visitor

hi