cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pulse Secure Terminal Services Client Error

New Contributor

Pulse Secure Terminal Services Client Error

I have an issue that when my end users VPN to my client and then try to RDP to my set of servers they get this error.

"An Internal state error has occured.  The remote session will be disconnected.  Your local computer might be low on memory.  Close some programs and then try connecting again."

I have had my end users restart their machines and only try to connect to that one server and they are still unable to connect so I am not sure where the resource issue would be taking place.

I dont control the VPN but would the group that does need to restart their appliance/client for this error to go away?

Thanks,

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Pulse Secure Terminal Services Client Error

Did the RDP access work before?

Are the users trying to access an admin created bookmark (connection name will be in bold) or trying to access a user created one?

From my experience, it was never a client issue. Settings on the VPN server (Firmware version, ACL, NLA status) or on the backend RDP machine (NLA security layer value) could cause this error message.

Highlighted
New Contributor

So I am new here but it will sporadically work.

I have checked the servers they are connecting to and tired to have them access with both NLA on and off and get the same results.

The links that are created on not under my control and I dont have access to look at their settings.

Another co worker told me that they try and then tell them to wait for like 30 minutes and sometimes it will allow them to login.

Hmm... If the issue sporadic.. then the ACL on the VPN server should be fine.

If you have access to the backend RDP server, please check the value of the security layer under Windows registry settings.

Open regedit using Run >> Navigate to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations\RDP-Tcp. Check for “SecurityLayer” value.

that error typically is due to the target server not being allowed in the ACL (either due to hostname or port restrictions). it could also happen if there is a firewall or route restriction that prevents access.
New Contributor

I am having this problem too.  Could this happen if there is a certificate issue?

When I remote desktop to this RDP server WITHIN the company network, I get a certificate error.

When I do it over our WebVPN service, which uses Pulse Terminal services, I get the above mentioned error.  I do NOT get errors connecting over our WebVPN service to other machines, and those machines also don't have certificate issues when I connect to them internally.

The problem seems to be that the computer hosting RDP server is ACTUALLY accessed at domain name computer.domain1.com, while the certificate ON the RDP server computer that is being sent over is registered to computer.domain2.com.  I think the computer was moved from one domain to another without fixing its certificate.

Could that cause this problem?  Do you know how I could fix the server's certificate?  I have admin access.  It is a desktop running Windows 10 enterprise

Hi @danielrg ,

I don't know think that the ceritificate error will cause this issue when accessing the RDP machine using the PS TSC.

Did you create the RDP bookmark for the machine which you are not able to access, after logging to the web portal or the VPN admin had it provisioned for you?

Can you ask the VPN admin to check the terminal services ACL and see if the server which you're trying to access has been set to Allow?

Thanks,

Ray.

New Contributor

I created the bookmark myself - which I often have to do anyway because once a month or so the bookmarks just disappear.  That's never caused a problem before.

I'll talk to the VPN admin this week and make sure there aren't access issues.  I'll also get the certificate problem fixed and see if that helps.  If not, I'll update the situation here.  Thanks!

Sounds good. Thank you Smiley Happy