cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pulse Secure Terminal Services for Mac - 2022

felixzenger
Occasional Contributor

Pulse Secure Terminal Services for Mac - 2022

I've bigsur latest version on my macbook pro. I have pulse client and host checker. I can connect via client but on my server configuration tunnel split is disabled. So I want to use Pulse VPN via my browser. How can I make an rdp connection from my browser. I can login but I've got java applet errors. Based on my research mac and java doesn't support java applets anymore.

Do you guys any kind of update about this situation?.

Thanks and Best regards.

11 REPLIES 11
zanyterp

Re: Pulse Secure Terminal Services for Mac - 2022

which java errors are you seeing?
do you have a jre installed on your mac?
what version of the pcs/ics are you using on the server?
felixzenger
Occasional Contributor

@zanyterp wrote:
which java errors are you seeing?
do you have a jre installed on your mac?
what version of the pcs/ics are you using on the server?

I'm not sure about server side configs but I can give information about my pc and app versions.

macos bigsur 11.6.6

$JAVA_HOME env = "Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk-18.0.1.1.jdk/Contents/Home"

java -version

java version "18.0.1.1" 2022-04-22
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 18.0.1.1+2-6)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 18.0.1.1+2-6, mixed mode, sharing)

[email protected] ~ % /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java -version
java version "1.8.0_333"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_333-b02)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.333-b02, mixed mode)

Pulse Client is 9.1.13

These are the screenshot links.

https://im.ge/i/Fa7RhK
https://im.ge/i/Fa7Wb9
https://im.ge/i/Fa7ZGX
https://im.ge/i/Fa78XF
https://im.ge/i/Fa7cZ6

zanyterp

thank you for the additional information
unfortunately, it could be a limitation on the server. there are several releases of the server software that does not allow the Pulse Secure Application Launcher to launch Java applets. i would recommend, if possible, to open a case with your IT team and have them open a case with our support team to check on that compatibility
felixzenger
Occasional Contributor

So everything seems fine on my mac enviroment. Is that correct? If it isn't what's can I do on my enviroments. Which is the correct version of those softwares like java etc. I read an article about mac doesn't support java applets. Is this correct?

Also we are using same server and profile on windows and I can use pulse terminal server on windows.

Is this make any sense? Why I can't run java applets on mac when I can run on windows with same profile and same server?

zanyterp

it does appear that the macOS environment is correct, yes. the mac does support java applets; however, it is highly restrictive and not recommended due to the difficulty in configuring access.
the same profile on windows will work successfully, yes. i have two guesses for why it is working that way:

1. you are using a terminal service bookmark. this is a win32 application that is able to be launched on windows to provide rdp access.
2. the same bookmark has java fallback configured, so that if a non-windows machine connects, it will launch the connection using a java applet. at least part of the problem is that until 9.1R14, the pulse application launcher cannot launch java applets.
felixzenger
Occasional Contributor

@zanyterp wrote:
it does appear that the macOS environment is correct, yes. the mac does support java applets; however, it is highly restrictive and not recommended due to the difficulty in configuring access.
the same profile on windows will work successfully, yes. i have two guesses for why it is working that way:

1. you are using a terminal service bookmark. this is a win32 application that is able to be launched on windows to provide rdp access.
2. the same bookmark has java fallback configured, so that if a non-windows machine connects, it will launch the connection using a java applet. at least part of the problem is that until 9.1R14, the pulse application launcher cannot launch java applets.

Yes your guesses are true but this situation a bit complicated.

We are using Pulse Secure Terminal Services Client on windows for RDP.

Main problem is mac clients.

As you say my mac enviroment is ok for connection. I can connect my vpn from browser like "example.vpn.com/profile". I can't start rdp session pulse show me an Java Applet error.

I can succesfully connect vpn via pulse client app and then I run through Microsoft Remote Desktop app for RDP session. But on server side split tunneling doesn't enable btw my internet connection going to dead when I'm on vpn.

I need to bypass it via accesing vpn from my browser and running rdp from browser is the solution I guess. I think like that because on windows client it works like that. Why I can't do the same connection on mac.

So I need help on that. What's can I do in this situation? Am I need newest version of pulse client-host checker etc. maybe browser or macos versions... I'm confused.

Please find a solution for me.

Thank you and best regards.

zanyterp

thank you for confirming; and, yes, what you are seeing is expected on versions prior to 9.1r15
the server needs to be upgraded as the issue is specifically with java launching; the client will launch successfully through a browser
felixzenger
Occasional Contributor

Thank you so much. Next week we are going to update server side version to 22.1R6 (Build 575) and then I hopefully accept as solution your recommends. When Server Side update is done do I need anything on my mac client or just trying to access via browser and everything will work fine for accesing rdp from browser?

zanyterp

"simply" accessing via the browser should allow it to connect successfully. it is possible that there is something else being masked by this behavior; however, symptomatically, this should resolve what you are seeing