Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random issues with Host Checker loading

meh_
Frequent Contributor

Random issues with Host Checker loading

Hi,

We recently upgrading our appliance to v6.3R3 and we are having very random issues with the Host Checker failing to install on some users remote pc's. It is very random. It occurs on both Windows XP and Vista, and both IE and Firefox browsers.

I've tried talking the user through clearing the cache, adding the url to Trusted Sites, disabling pop up blocker, if using IE try with Firefox and vice versa and many other things with no luck.

Has anyone else experienced random issues installing Host Checker? Can anyone suggest anything else to try?

Thanks

Message Edited by meh on 03-05-2009 07:37 PM
4 REPLIES 4
ksantema_
New Contributor

Re: Random issues with Host Checker loading

Have you tried installing the Juniper Installer Service? In our environment this has become essential since not all users have rights to install the host checker and SAM components. Of course I had to go a round-about way to install it. I had to install it using a scheduled task while they were VPN'd in via our old ISA server, then have them migrate over to the SSL-VPN.

BigJames_
Occasional Contributor

We had a similar issue with 6.3R3 installing Host Checker components which stemmed by our Client Firewall (Symantec) rules. If the user was prompted to allow or deny the Host Checker component through the firewall and didn't respond to the prompt within 3-5 seconds the Host Checker would just hang and not install until the browser was refreshed after the user had added the rule to the client firewall. This happened with both IE and Firefox.

Modifying the global firewall policy to add the rule so that users were not prompted resolved our issue.

James

meh_
Frequent Contributor

No I haven't tried installing the Juniper Installer service. I guess as most times it is users accessing Juniper from their home computers I assumed they would all have admin rights. But I might give them a copy of the installer to put on their pc to see if this makes any difference.

With firewalls, I guess I wouldn't know what people use for firewalls at home or when they're at remote locations, anything is possible. I haven't had any way say they were getting firewall pop up messages.

ebunny_
Occasional Contributor

One of our users here just tried IE Tab for Firefox3.0.8, available as an add-on by Firefox. It seems to allow Host Checker to do its thing, and he can use Firefox on his Vista Enterprise. Our IVE is running 6.3R1-2. One caveat is that the first time, he had to do a double-login. Another is that WSAM seemd to crash his browser, and reboot his machine, but that could be unrelated. The second login worked fine.

I have seen that Host Checker seems to have random issues with Vista.