cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SA-2500 Upgrade question

Highlighted
New Contributor

SA-2500 Upgrade question

I am preparing to upgrade our SA-2500 from 6.5R6 to 7.2R3 at the moment.  I can't for the life of me find any pitfalls that I should worry about which makes me a little nervous.  In looks like one file upgrade too, no bootloader or similar.  This is my first upgrade to this unit as this is a new job.  Am I missing something or will it be that smooth?  

Yes, I know, I just invited murphy to the party.

Thanks,

Todd

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: SA-2500 Upgrade question

Hey Twinkie,

You always have an option to roll back. 

Maintenance-->System-->Platform-->Rollback button

My suggestion is to backup your config first 

Maintenance--> import/export--> configuration, user, xml tabs

also as a rule of thumb I never update to the latest firmware revision always at least 1 or 2 iderations behind. 

Fyi we currently have 

SA6500

SA4000 

SA2500

in our enviroment with the highest rev on the boxes at 7.1.R2

hope that helps. 

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hi Todd,

Make sure your steps are not too great!

Advise (as I always understood from Juniper) is to do it per 1 minor (so behind the dot) at the time!

Furthermore make sure you connect the console as the path you're taking will take some time (where you might have the fealing the box is doing nothing....however it's converting it's file system....which can take quote some time depending your log size)

Brgds,

Maarten

Highlighted
New Contributor

Thanks, right now I don't get many maintenance windows so I try to update as far as I can go.  I may back off a little and use 7.2R1 or R2 though.

I did not know about the rollback option so that is nice to know about.  The configs are backed up by an automated process but I think I will do a manual one as well right before.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Maarten,

I had read about the log delay so I was planning to backup the logs and then wipe them out before hand.  The documentation seemed to indicate that I could jump straight from 6.5 to 7.2 is that not correct?  Or did you mean that you have to apply the R1 and then R2, R3 and so on per build?

Thanks,

Todd

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Todd,

about a month ago I dusted off a 2500 and upgraded it from 6.-something to 7.2. I did not try doing it in one jump, as we have had our SA units hang before, when going to far at once. I grabbed a few builds, and upgraded in steps, where I went to the highest R# of a major number that I started in, then went to the next major number, say 6.3R7 to 6.4R5. Or something along those lines. It took a little time, but I had cleared all of the logs first, and this SA had no user settings to save.

Good luck!

Michele

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Hi Todd,

You can refer to the document http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/ive/guides/howtos/How_To_Junos_Pulse_Secure_Access_Cluster_... if it is a cluster

Clearing the log file is recommended before upgrade, go straight from 6.5r6 to 7.2x as you will want the rollback version to be 6.5r6.Refer the release notes of 7.2r4 for known fixes as it is recommended to go the highest maintenance release as that will have the maximum fixes

Regards,

Jay