I'm seeing mixed results after a few hours of running without UDP on the client (tofClientDisableUDP).
On the Win8 VM running in Hyper-V, the disconnects started immediately, then stopped for about 60 minutes, then resumed. (I was connecting through an SA6500 7.3R2)
One the Win8 X1 carbon, the disconnected occured repeatedly for the first hour, then went away completely for the last 2 hours or so. (connecting through an SA6500 cluster running 7.1R5). This has been the only acceptable level of performance I've seen on any Win8 client ... I feel like I can finally get work done on the new laptop!
After a little more time with Win8 and the UDP client disabled I can say it hasn't helped much ... if at all.
I still get disconnects every few minutes on Win8 under this situation:
One of the guys on our security team has been working on this. He removed all the installed software/drivers and did a lot of testing with just the base OS. Here's what he came up with:
Go to Control Panel, Add Remove Windows Features, and disable these 2:
¥ Remote Differential Compression API Support
¥ Windows Location Provider
You will lose the location support, but that is not nearly as important as RDP for me!
I suspect that only the Location Provider is the culprit, but IÕve always hated Remote Diff Compression since the Vista days when everyone was having issues with it. I will try re-enabling that too, but so far so good running this wayÉ.all day long today and then another 90 min session after re-enabling the GPO settings to default. All other settings are default too such as IPv6 enabled, etc.
So far this has been working for me. I had one quick disconnect within 30 seconds of removing the location provider, but since then I haven't seen a single disconnect on the win8 VM I've been using. I haven't tried it on all computers yet. After the note above, Rick went to another location and had lots of drops ... but it could have been the network at that site.
So, for everyone still having trouble, please try removing Windows Location Provider and post your results.
I had the exact same issues on multiple pc's in my home. Some were wireless and others were wired only. all machines are running x64 win8 pro, not home.
I noticed that when I ran win7 in a vm on the same machine the issue didnt occur so I went hunting for a cause.
I eventually tracked it down to my canon printer/scanner network driver. simply disabling the network printer service didnt work, I had to completely uninstall. The issue seemed to most occur when 'network ij' software was running. this is the scanning software that listens for the scanner sending images back to the pc.
I would be happy to provide the offending driver to juniper if requested.
After more testing, I've re-enabled the Remote Differential Compression API Support, and have determined the main cause of the RDP disconnects to be the Windows Location Provider. After this feature was disabled, the connection has been stable. For those who are reporting wireless printers to be the issue, I suspect that disabling the Location Provider will likely fix that too, as the Location Provider does attempt to triangulate your location based on Wi-Fi..Just a hunch.
We have tried this on 3 different Ultrabooks with success - Juniper VPN testing to SA 6500 running 7.4_R1 and 7.1_R5
According to JTAC the problem has something to do with loop back communication for RDP using 127.0.0.3 in Windows 8. They say it will be fixed in 7.3R5 by the end of April. We'll see.
I just upgraded our SA-4500 to 7.4R2 and did a fresh Windows 8 install on a laptop and were are still getting disconnects using RDP, but it only seems to be on a wireless connection. Wired it seemed OK. I'm going to try disabling NLA and see if that helps but I don't really want my users to have to do so.