cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SA4500: VIPs deactivated on node .. on all ports, reason other node is better

spacyfreak_
Contributor

SA4500: VIPs deactivated on node .. on all ports, reason other node is better

The VIP one or two times a day switches over to the other node and back.

FAilover works fine, but WHY it fails over?

Network ping times are superb good and i dont have an idea WHY the cluster algorithm thinks the other node should be better.

12 REPLIES 12
evick27_
Not applicable

Re: SA4500: VIPs deactivated on node .. on all ports, reason other node is better

We have the exact same issue. Seems really odd to me that this would be normal behavior.

cbarcellos_
Regular Contributor

Re: SA4500: VIPs deactivated on node .. on all ports, reason other node is better

This isn't normal, there is a reason why the IVE is failing over. Many network checks are running at all times to ensure that the VIP owner is the most stable device in the cluster.

What do your event logs show at the time of the fail over?

bouassab_
New Contributor

Dear all,

I have the same issue.

Is there any solution for that?

Thanks,

Aziz

John.Corbin_
Contributor

has anyone found the solution to this problem? i am experiencing this scenario and my mgmt is worried about stability.

jayLaiz_
Super Contributor

Hi John,

What SA version are you running?I remember we have a known issue in 7.1.r11 with VIP failing over which is fixed in 7.1r12.

Regards,

Jai

John.Corbin_
Contributor

we are currently running 7.2r1.1.

Kita_
Valued Contributor

Is "reason other node is better" the only message that appears in the event log?  Normally, a cluster will split if the ARP ping between the two nodes fail more than 3 times.  If this is the case, then the node sending the arp ping determines the other node is down.  JTAC will need to review the event logs first and possibly require enabling debug logging on the SA to provide more details.  

Is there a case already open for this issue?

John.Corbin_
Contributor

inor NET24467 2012-11-29 08:54:58 - SSL1 - [127.0.0.1System()[] - internal gateway '10.x.x.x' up.
Minor NET24472

2012-11-29 08:54:19 - SSL1 - [127.0.0.1System()[] - VIPs deactivated on node SSL1 on all ports, reason other node is better

these are the only messages i see

Kita_
Valued Contributor

What does the log say in the other node during this time?