cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SA6500 licensing

New Contributor

SA6500 licensing

this may be a really old, tired question, but I'm new to SA6500's but I have the job today of setting up adding a 'new' as the passive device in an active passive cluster with an existing live SA6500.

Could someone confirm for me first of all whether the 'new' box needs a hardware licence of its own?

Secondly, I understand that the user licence currently applied to the live unit, which I think is for 1000 users, would need to be split in order to apply 500 user to the new unit. Is that correct and does anyone know the procedure for splitting off those licences from the live unit?

Many thanks
Andrew
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: SA6500 licensing

You probably could just add the new SA6500 to the cluster without a license and you'll end up with a cluster that is licensed for 1002 users but the new one will probably always complain that it doesn't have a license installed. Down the road, if the current SA6500 with the 1000 user license fails, the cluster will go to 2 users after 10 days. Which means you have 10 days to get it RMA'd and back online.

I don't believe it's possible to split a current license. Typically Pulse won't alter an existing license.
New Contributor

Thanks, Filbert
New Contributor

If the secondary unit has 0 user license and primary unit (1000 license) fails, you only has 2 user count left, even during the grace period.

Read the admin guide on clustering for details.