cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSO: Basic auth, NTLM auth, remote form POST auth?

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

SSO: Basic auth, NTLM auth, remote form POST auth?

Hi all,

I would like to understand the differences between those three different SSO methods: Basic auth, NTLM auth and remote form POST auth.

Indeed, I must confess that I don't really understand when I should use basic auth instead of remote form POST auth etc.

For example: OWA SSO. There are some JUniper KBs that explain how to configure remote form POST auth for OWA2003 (2007 and 2010 too) and I'm pretty sure that, by the past, I was able to configure a working SSO using basic auth...

Was I wrong? Are there existing circumstances when we should prefer a SSO method to another one?

Thanks a lot for your help

Regards,

Fred

ps: another quick question which is not related to the previous one, do you know if ActiveSync is supported with Exchange 2010 in IVE 7.0R1? I read in the admin guide that only Exchange 2003 and 2007 are supported...but in the same admin guide we can read that activesync is only supported for Windows Mobile 5.0 and 6.0 whereas it's supported for Iphone 3.0 too...That's why I'm asking this question :-)

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: SSO: Basic auth, NTLM auth, remote form POST auth?

What SSO method is to be chosen is purely dependent on the backend servers configured requirements.
If a backend server is configured to only allow NTLM authenticated users, you will need to configure a NTLM SSO policy on the SA device. Similarly for other SSO methods.
Its always advisable to contact the service administrator to understand the deployment and accordingly make a decision on configuring an SSO policy on the SA device.
Activesync should work with exchange 2010

< please mark this post as 'accepted solution' if this answers your question that way it might help others as well, a kudo would be a bonus J thanks >