cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shoretel Anyone?

Highlighted
Contributor

Shoretel Anyone?

I am runing a Shoretel VoIP phone system and have been working on trying to get the softphone to work over network connect. I have allowed all the correct IPs and ports (i opened them all up for testing) and the soft phone mostly works. When making a call i will no tbe able to hear the person on the other end, but that person can hear me. However, if I am calling an internal extension, it works fine. For some reason only outbound calls have a block from me hearing the other person.

That rings firewall issue ot me, but I have been testing with no firewall on the PC and my juniper SSG140 has all the correct policies in place and isnt logging anything being blocked..... Any ideas?

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Re: Shoretel Anyone?

I've not tried this yet - we're still deplying the Juniper infrastructure. However, I'll give it a try as soon as I can and see what happens.

What ShoreTel version are you on?

With your scenario, once the call is set up, audio will go direct between endpoints, whereas when you call out using your PSTN trunk, audio will go between your softphone and the switch to which the trunk is connected. Distributed call routing may change that, but we haven't had to turn that on yet.

Cheers,

--Chris

Highlighted
Contributor

Thanks, its 9.2 build 14.41.1108.0

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

We're a little behind - 8.1 - so our milage may differ!

Highlighted
Contributor

Potentially, i know it didnt work in 8.1 but we didnt have a need for it and therefore didnt spend any time in troubleshooting it....

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Ahh.. One way audio problems, so much fun.

First, are you using QoS, and do you have the ToS setting enabled in your Network Connect section of the user role?:

TOS Options Enable  TOS Bits Copy  Network Connect will copy IP TOS bits from inner IP header to outer IP Header. This option is useful in situations where network between the client and IVE has QoS capabilities. Note that enabling this option may require reboot when NC is installed for the first time on Windows platform. NC supports TOS bits copy only when NC is using IPSec transport and not for SSL transport.

Also, you should verify with traceroute that traffic can flow from the IP phone/laptop to the media gateway, and vice versa. It could be a routing loop issue.

Highlighted
Contributor

Hello Everyone, the solution in my case didn't have anything to dowith the Juniper Product. it turns out that one of my T1's for voice, had a bad gateway listed. So the softphone was only allowing one way commuincation, since it uses the other T1 for out bound. Thanks everyone for your help.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Well, that's useful confirmation that the softphone's good with NC. As it turns out, I've only just got to the point where I can test it myself.

Cheers,

--Chris

Highlighted
Contributor

Yes, and as a reference point, I do NOT have ToS enabled. It is working great without any issues through NC. Now if I could just get it to work with WSAM that would be nice.... but WSAM doesn't grab UDP packets.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

miked,

Great, I'm glad you got that one sorted out. You might want to do some test calls while you are downloading a large file, or streaming some HD video from youtube--just to make sure the calls work okay without any QoS. As I'm sure you know, VoIP is fairly sensitive to network latency and packet drops.

WSAM can do UDP, however I don't think it would be recommended for time sensitive traffic like VoIP. I'm not sure it would work either.