cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync between two clusters

irtizas_
Occasional Contributor

Sync between two clusters

I will soon be deploying a second Neoteris cluster at a different site to the first one. This will be for DR purposes.

As the sites are different, all IP address will also be different including the Ip addresses for the network connect hide subnets.

Is there anything I can implement to keep the configs on the 2 clusters in sync, so that any config changes made to the first cluster sync across to the 2nd one.

Obviously, I do not want the syncs to affect IP addressing on the 2nd cluster.

7 REPLIES 7
supsec_
Occasional Contributor

Re: Sync between two clusters

you can export the user config from the first cluster regularly using the

archiving options.

but Im' not aware of any import that can be done automatically.

user config contains all the config except the system config.

you can also tell precisely what to export and what to import.

muttbarker_
Valued Contributor

You can also do quite a bit with the XML import export functions. Unlike doing a user or system config the XML config can be edited to allow you include or exclude specific stanzas. I have a couple of customers that use XML extensively to load and update the SSL box and it is very powerful.

zanyterp_
Respected Contributor

if they are using the same IVE OS version and licensing scheme, you can use push config from the non-DR to the DR device. You will need to configure each side, but I have seen it work; otherwise, you will need to periodically export the user.cfg from non-DR into DR (this will not change anything that is network-specific) and is the easiest solution to keep the configurations in-sync. If you have NSM, you can also do the same idea by making non-DR the configuration to push to DR.

supsec_
Occasional Contributor

Are there some examples related to automatic import

I'm aware of the archiving for export, but I never saw any script related to import and I'll be happy to see/test one.

zanyterp_
Respected Contributor

Hi supsec,

I apologize, I did not mean to imply at something that could be done automatically; there is nothing that can be scripted. The closest that the IVE has is to create a push config profile on the non-DR and configure the DR device to receive push configurations that you manually push using the profile you have created; information on this can be found in the admin guide.

irtizas_
Occasional Contributor

OK, so nothing can be done automatically.

To follow up on this is it possible to have a multisite cluster(All the IP addressing including Network connect hide addressing) will be different at the 2 sites.

So all 4 devices will be in the same cluster but spread across the 4 sites.

zanyterp_
Respected Contributor

Hi irtizas,

That is correct on the automation for synchronizing a configuration between clusters.

In the scenario you outline below, with 4 nodes in a cluster in different sites, you can create a 4-node active/active cluster. In this instance each node is required to have their own Network Connect IP pools, addresses, and routing information to sucessfully be used.

In this scenario you would have all 4 nodes in one cluster.

You will need to make sure there is low latency (guides are in the admin guide) between the cluster to prevent splits and other unpleasant behavior.