cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to access network but VPN connects

Charlie_Wilson
Visitor

Unable to access network but VPN connects

I am able to make an apparently successful connection to the VPN through Pulse Secure (bytes in and out), but I have no access to the connected network facilites that I need. I maintain general internet access, however. This worked perfectly well a few months ago, I suspect a problem in an OS or Pulse Secure update.

Pulse Secure 9.1.9

Mac OS 10.15.7

8 REPLIES 8
siddarajusrikantaiah
New Contributor

Re: Unable to access network but VPN connects

I am also facing the similar issue. 

Able to connect to VPN and able to access all web resources. but not able to connec to any DB including my local postgressql from java.

it was working on previous Pulsesecure installation. couple of days back the pulse secure version got updated and from then this issue is happening. 

@Charlie_Wilson wrote:

I am able to make an apparently successful connection to the VPN through Pulse Secure (bytes in and out), but I have no access to the connected network facilites that I need. I maintain general internet access, however. This worked perfectly well a few months ago, I suspect a problem in an OS or Pulse Secure update.

Pulse Secure 9.1.9

Mac OS 10.15.7

siddarajusrikantaiah
New Contributor

I am also fcing a similar issue

I am able to connect to VPN and also to the VPN resources. but not able to connec to any DB (tried Postressql and MSSQL) from java including my local machine DB. If I do not connect to VPN then able to connect to my LocalDB once connect to VPN then getting Socket closed exception.

Pulse Secure 9.1.9

Mac OS 11.0.1

kita
Regular Contributor

This should remain to work unless traffic enforcement is enabled on the device.  There were recent changes in traffic enforcement from kernel extensions to system extensions in macOS.  This was done as kernel extensions are no longer supported after macOS 11.0 and above.

Check the debuglog.log and see if traffic enforcement is enabled:

Enforcement IPV4=0 Enforcement IPV6=0

If it is set to 0x1, then it would be enabled and potentially blocking traffic that does not comply with the policy set by the admin.

siddarajusrikantaiah
New Contributor

Thank you Kita,

I tried to find the enforcement in logs and did not get logs related to that.

There are some debug steps I have done to see from other angles.

I created a PHP program to connect to local Database and it works when connected to VPN and not connected also.

The same local database when try to connect from Java program it is not connecting when connected to VPN but it works when not connected to VPN.

Tried to connect to local DB with Non Java SQL client (SQL workbench) and it can connect too with or without VPN connected.

When I tried connecting with Java based SQL client (DBeaver) then it is not able to connect when VPN is connected and able to connect when VPN is not connected

With above I see the problem is with JAVA clients not able to connect to local or remote DB when VPN is connected.

I am trying to debug deep with Java client but no success yet. Please suggest if  any specific things I need to check or tweak anything.

Thanks

Siddaraju

ngocemy
New Contributor

For me just open security and privacy and under general, allow the app to work and not blocking. Then magic happened, it works!

ngocemy
New Contributor

For me it works after I allow Pulse secure not to be blocked in the System Preference -> Security and Privacy panel, under General.

ngocemy
New Contributor

For me it works under General of the panel Security and Privacy in System Preference to allow Pulse Secure 

Tags (1)
siddarajusrikantaiah
New Contributor

I did some more debug by writing a simple java socket server and client code. whithout connecting to VPN the program works with sending message from client program to server program and getting response back. but when VPN is connected then if I use localhost as host name then it fails. (data packets are dropping - recorded in wireshork to debug it). but on VPN when I use ::1 as hostname then it works. this means IPV4 data packets are droping (SYN, ACK packets are trasmitting. only PSH packets are droping). 

as per last suggestion from Kita, I did not find how to change enforcement to IPV4 - 0 and IPV6 - 0. 

surprisingly this issues happeing only for java programs. The Javascript and PHP programs are working good without any issuses

Please sugest if there are any specific solution to this issue.

Thanks 

Siddaraju