Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Desktop VS Remote Desktop

SOLVED
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Virtual Desktop VS Remote Desktop

Hi All

What is the difference between virtual desktop and remote desktop? Which option is the prefered one.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Frequent Contributor

Re: Virtual Desktop VS Remote Desktop

Virtual Desktops are dynamically provisioned with Citrix XenDesktop or VMWare View Manager providing the desktop resource for the user. Remote Desktop is where RDP is used to connect to a physical or virtual server which has a static IP Address.

So if you have Xendesktop or VMWare View Manager, look at configuring Virtual Desktops on the SA under Resource Profiles > Virtual Desktops (Chapter 6 in Admin Guide); for access using an RDP client to a specific server use Resource Profiles > Terminal Services (Chapter 24 in Admin Guide).

Regular Contributor

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Actually my scenario is that:

1- I have my laptop keep on and having static IP addres in the office. I want to do some work on this laptop from my home. So in this case I would use RDP right?

2- As I understand we use virtual desktop in case we have thin client envirnment? Please confirm this too

Thanks

Frequent Contributor

You are correct, to access the laptop you would use RDP via the SA device.

Virtual desktop is used on the SA when the client is connecting to a virtual computer provisioned on a server (Citrix Xendesktop, VM).