Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WSAM Problems: Drive mapping script and network PST files

Sojourner_
Occasional Contributor

WSAM Problems: Drive mapping script and network PST files

Hi,

I've had a look at the the drive mapping through WSAM PDF and we're still having issues.

A bit of background first...

Clustered (A/P) SA4500s, running 6.5R1 (build 14599). We run Outlook/Exchange and a number of our users have PST data files out on our NAS. When in the office, a user boots his/her machine and part of the login process is a VB script that maps the network drives. I have added NetBios as a supported WSAM application, and added the server holding the network drives in the WSAM allowed servers. I have also added two of our AD servers to the "allowed servers" since the VB script that does the drive mapping is located on our AD servers.

So here's the issue...

1) I have set the UNC path to the session start script in the "Options" section of SAM. It never loads/works. I don't see any errors, but the drives are not mapped on remote machines using SAM.

2) It takes ages for the WSAM icon to turn blue. I'm guessing that this is because it's waiting for the script call to time out?

3) Our users are getting this annoying pop-up from Outlook since it cannot connect to the network PST files (the root issue from which all of the others have arrisen).

So you see- if the drives mapped via the script, then there would be no PST error. So how do I get this blasted VB script to launch correctly, which might very well resolve the slow-load issue as well? When you right click WSAM and go under the details tab, you see the correct servers (two AD servers and the network file server) and applications defined (NetBIOS and Outlook.exe). I know this has to be one or two simply changes, but so far I haven't been able to figure them out!!

Any help would be appreciated. Smiley Happy

3 REPLIES 3
dcvers_
Regular Contributor

Re: WSAM Problems: Drive mapping script and network PST files

First I'm not sure if you can use a VB script directly. You may need to point at a batch file that calls the script. It may need to be local on the PC as well.

Secondly WSAM doesn't wait for the script to finish before it connects but the delays could be what is causing the drives not to map. Normally put a 20-30 second pause if the drive mapping script to make sure WSAM has established a connection before it tries to map the drives.

Sojourner_
Occasional Contributor

JTAC told me the same thing- no VBS, BAT only.

So I have an existing batch file that we use at login that actually calls the VBS I was getting at. The problem is that it is still not working. First, apparently the "Session Start Script" has a problem with UNC path names or my box is setup wrong. Let me rephrase that- I can put in a \\server\directory\logon.bat UNC path, but I cannot seem to define UNC path names in the SAM ACL under resource policies. If I try to put in any \\ path then it complains that it "Failed to save policy. Reason: Invalid resource!".

Also, how do you put the pauses in that you mentioned? The reason I ask is that I think the order things are happening is also wrong. Apparently the AD credentials are not passed from the IVE onto the AD servers or Exchange server. This might be another issue- maybe they can't access the BAT script since they haven't authenticated to AD yet? I'm a UNIX guy, sorry. Smiley Sad Maybe if I could insert some pauses then it might fall in to place a bit easier?

Here's the dig: if I log into WSAM and run a local copy of folder.vbs (on my desktop) then the drives map and all is good. If I run a local copy of logon.bat it also maps all all of the drives (which makes sense since one of the things logon.bat does is call folders.vbs). The hitch is that I am kicking off either script locally.

So in summary... WSAM and either script works if I connect and then run a local copy of the script. All I want/need is for the script launching to be automated by the SA4500. No one likes the idea of passing out local copies of a login script. Should it ever need to change then we have to roll it all out again...

Thanks again for the reply!

dcvers_
Regular Contributor

We use the sleep command to add the pause. If not included in a standard install I think this is part of a Windows resource kit available of the install CD (possible the Windows Server CD).

You problem could be using a UNC path. I'm not sure WSAM will support this very well. Try mapping a drive and using a driver letter style path. When you map the driver it is very important to include the /user:%USERNAME% parameter, e.g. net use G: \\server\share /user:%USERNAME%

This parameter tell net use to connect using the logged in user.