cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is Pulse and why should I care ?

Jickfoo_
Super Contributor

What is Pulse and why should I care ?

Looking for the techie explanation not marketing nonsense.

Is it a VPN client ? Can I run it against my current IVE's ? Is this a replacement for NetConnect ?

10 REPLIES 10
SonicBoom_
Regular Contributor

Re: What is Pulse and why should I care ?

yes its a super light vpn client, i just rolled it out onto production with very minimal access to Pulse for testing and so far it works flawlessly from a few pc's that did not like getting a new IP and also works flawlessly from my Samsung Omnia 2, i should have a Droid Incredible later today to test it on that. It sits right under your network connect options and in my opion is a great replacement for NC.

Kalex_
Contributor

I've replaced NC on my user role with Pulse, and I'm rather happy with it. One thing I particularly didn't like about NC (and WSAM) is that they crashed my Win7 system when going to standby or hibernate. Whether that was a problem local to my notebook, I still don't know - but Pulse works rather well and doesn't crash my Win7.

What I don't like though, is that Pulse auto-starts after installation and repeatedly tries to connect to the SA. Quite annoying, actually - most of all because there's no clear setting to disable this behaviour.

Aside from that: I'd recommend Pulse anytime.

Kalex_
Contributor

BTW, you can use Pulse as a generic VPN client not only for your IVE, but also for your SSG series devices.

alan_
Contributor

How can I get the Pulse client short of upgrading one of my boxes to 7.0?

alan_
Contributor

alan_
Contributor

Just some info - talked with JTAC...

Plulse is supported on SA 6.4 and above but for iPhone iOS 4 ONLY. You need to be running 7.0 on your SA to use Pulse. This isn't clear in the doc. JTAC had no idea if ScreenOS was supported (stay tuned).

Pulse for iPhone is expected to release end of July or soon after.

zanyterp_
Respected Contributor

It is a VPN client that can be used in place of Network Connect; it can be used to replace it or provide a different set of connections. It can also be used to connect to IC, SRX , and WX devices.

Pulse is available with IVE OS 7.0 and later only; previous IVE OS versions are not compatible.

[Updated on 14 July 10 at 1912 EDT to correct that it is the SRX and not SSG devices]

alan_
Contributor

Hi,

Can you tell me how to make it work with ScreenOS? JTAC didn't know and there's no doc at all on it.

I'm hoping the IPhone 4 Pulse client is out sooner than August too if you have any insight.

zanyterp_
Respected Contributor

I apologize; I was wrong. It is not the SSG and apologize for not having checked before my previous post (I just checked to make sure I remembered right before and I did not and will correct that in my original post). is is the SRX not the SSG that is supported. The SRX, I believe, runs JUNOS and not ScreenOS. Again, my apologies for remembering incorrectly.

Installation & configuration information can be found at http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/pulse/