Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the deal with MAG vs. SA?

Highlighted
Contributor

What's the deal with MAG vs. SA?

Hi,

one of my customers told me today he was at a Juniper presentation and they were being told there that Juniper will kill the SA and replace it with a completely new, Junos based system.

I couldn't believe that so I checked out Juniper's site. All I could find was the new MAG product, which seems to run Junos as the OS, but also seems to run IVE on top of it.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? What's going on here? Has IVE been ported to Junos? Is there feature parity between SA and MAG?

Thanks

Sascha

33 REPLIES 33
Highlighted
Not applicable

Re: What's the deal with MAG vs. SA?

Hello,

I am not the official word on any of this, but I just went through the process of evaluating the platforms before deciding which one to replace my old SA box with. The base OS is different - the MAG boxes can run images from either the IVE or the SA software, but it is exactly the same SA software that the standard SA box runs. So, from a configuration standpoint there is no difference.

I spoke with an engineer who couldn't tell me if there were any performance differences, though it doesn't look like there would be much if any.

The best I was able to gather is that the licensing is the biggest difference. They are bundling the MAG systems differently with the license focused exclusively on the Junos functionality. This will mean that the pricing could be more attractive to many of us.

From Juniper's perspective, having a unit that can run either the IVE or SA software will eventually make it so they don't have to produce two different hardware lines, so ultimately they will likely phase out the original platforms.

Right now though, the hardware and licensing is so new that it was almost impossible to get documentation on anything and the engineers were not briefed (or not briefed well) on the platform leading me to ultimately choose to stay with the SA platform. Since the SA software is the same, there is no danger that they will phase out the SA hardware at LEAST until the MAG units begin to take hold and they sell off their inventory of SA boxes :-) Even then the SA units will be fully supported for a long time.

Hope that makes it all a little clearer :-)

Michael

Highlighted
Contributor

No sure I understand Micheal,

SA is the hardware platform, and IVE is the sogtware that runs on top of it. That was how it used to be until now.

Now there are new appliances that you can use to run IVE (SSL-VPN) and/or UAC (Network Access control). You can also download Junos for the box. So that where my confusion starts. Going to the support site and download page for the MAG, there is only a Junos download available, but from the same page it links to the software download section for the SA. If you go there, it only lists IVE build for the SA platform.

Anyone know any details about this?

Thanks

Sascha

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

The Junos image that you see is for the CM060, which is the chassis management module for the 6610 and 6611 models. The CM060 doesn't actually run the IVE or UAC software.

The SM160 and SM360 modules are what run the IVE or UAC images. The 2600 and 4610 don't have modules, so they just load the IVE or UAC images.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Hi All,

Thanks for sharing.

If we were to propose a SSL VPN solution for customers, should we go with MAG instead of SA?

Is there a comparison table between MAG and SA available?

Thanks.

Mchael Saw

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Hey Michael - to me as a reseller it boils down to this:

1- The MAG platform is the go forward platform for Juniper - so unless you are selling into an account with an existing SA infrastructure I would never consider the SA anymore.

2- The larger MAG solutions offer some advantages in terms of dual SSL and UAC platforms

3- The MAG can be run as either a SSL or UAC box.

The code is the same for the boxes and of course while the SA will be supported for a long time (5X platform) it will still be EOL'd before the MAG.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

One time you may need to use an SA instead of a MAG is if the customer had a requirement to run on a version lower than 7.1. This is the minimum version supported on the MAG and it won't let you install a lower version (I've tried!).

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Thanks, muttbarker!

Is there actually any advantage of SA on top of MAG?

I was looking for a comparison table on the Net, but to no avail...

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

There is no advantage to an SA over a MAG unless you need to run old code.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

@muttbarker wrote:

There is no advantage to an SA over a MAG unless you need to run old code.

I thought I remembered seeing at one point that the MAG didn't support IVS. Is this still the case, or has it been corrected in newer software releases?