cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will Pulse reach feature parity with NC?

Contributor

When will Pulse reach feature parity with NC?

Anyone know Juniper's road map in this regard?

10 REPLIES 10
Contributor

Re: When will Pulse reach feature parity with NC?

@muttbarker wrote:

When it comes to NC versus Pulse I have also had several customers complain about performance issues. We have had one customer run side by side tests of Pulse and NC and the performance of Pulse was substandard (test was a straighforward ftp file transfer from a Windows PC.)

The JTAC solution was to wait for the 3.0 code which I am now beta testing for them.

Care to share some details about 3.0?

@ Twitter: @cryptochrome
--------------------------------
plus.google.com/11635909860
Super Contributor

Pulse already does way more than NC what specific features are you looking for? the only short comming of pulse in my case was it does not work from an IVS and according to juniper that will not happen as IVS are being phased out.

Contributor

@mrkool wrote:

Pulse already does way more than NC what specific features are you looking for? the only short comming of pulse in my case was it does not work from an IVS and according to juniper that will not happen as IVS are being phased out.

What version are you talking about? You must have a newer version than me. I am talking about the one available on the Juniper site, 2.x.

For starters, it does not plug into Windows Gina.

It also does not handle RADIUS authentication where a second challenge is sent from the Radius server (very common in SMS token products) - NC does this without a problem).

It's not available on Linux and Mac OS X, like NC is.

That's what comes to mind without thinking much about it. I am sure there is more.

Super Contributor

you are right we are a windows only shop so no need for osx or linux clients.

We do use pulse on the iphone and ipads though.

Also we do two factor auth with pulse and it works just fine. when you say it does not handle Radius auth what do you mean? you enable pulse in the role but you setup the auth in the realm and realm will do Radius auth.

Don't do GINA either.

Contributor

@mrkool wrote:

Also we do two factor auth with pulse and it works just fine. when you say it does not handle Radius auth what do you mean? you enable pulse in the role but you setup the auth in the realm and realm will do Radius auth.

Most of the SMS based two-factor auth products will require you to log on with normal credentials first (username/password) and once that's verified, challenge the SSL gateway to prompt the user to enter a password a second time (this time his SMS provided pin code). This is done so nobody can just hammer your SSL gateway with fake requests, which would all result in tons of SMS being sent out.

Juniper's SSL VPN handles those "secondary" challenges just fine, you can configure many options on how to react on them. Unfortunately, Pulse does not handle this at all. Network Connect does.

Anyways, as you can see, Pulse is far away from having reached feature parity with NC.

Hence my question: Anyone here know the roadmap of Juniper in this regard? I know they promised feature parity, but I have no details.

Frequent Contributor

Product roadmaps can't be disclosed in public forums due to revenue recogntion rules in GAAP accounting. You need to contact your SE or account manager for an NDA discussion.

Regards,

-Keith

Frequent Contributor

cryptochrome

we are in the same boat here. we have win and os x and we use sms based two factor auth. we wanted to roll out pulse but were forced back to network connect in order to have a unified experience. coming from a cisco asa, this amazes lack of support amazed me.

and lets not get me started on contacting my juniper rep. if they would return my calls, i'd be thrilled. seeing how we are still 99% cisco, you think they'd be eager to take our calls.

sk_
Contributor

Windows 7 credential providers? ala GINA
Valued Contributor

When it comes to NC versus Pulse I have also had several customers complain about performance issues. We have had one customer run side by side tests of Pulse and NC and the performance of Pulse was substandard (test was a straighforward ftp file transfer from a Windows PC.)

The JTAC solution was to wait for the 3.0 code which I am now beta testing for them.